Categories in the tag cloud

Do I need an additional plugin to display global categories? I currently have global site tags and it seems to be working fine but it only includes tags but not categories. I read on a previous post that the tag cloud should include categories; is that true?

• antKat
    • HummingBird

Hi David,

The URL is http://sportslife.me

The tag cloud is in footer. The categories from network do not seem to be working. There are a couple categories, ie. football (large font) that do not have any posts. However, there are a lot of recent Running (Category) and Multi-Event (Category) posts yet these categories do not show up in tag cloud.

I just switched to Recent to see what would change. Do the category names need to be duplicated as tag in order to show up?

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya,

The Global Site Tags plugin should pull categories as well. Have you tested creating a new category, assigning it to a post and seeing if it’s picked up? Like the post indexer plugin, I don’t believe it’ll pick up content created previous to its installation.

Thanks!

• antKat
    • HummingBird

Are you suggesting that it cannot pick up categories that may have been created prior to installing the global site tags plugin? We have created a multi-site with a blog template that has approx 50 preconfigured category pages for members to choose from. We really do not intend to be adding many new categories. I do believe we installed the global post indexer and global site tags early in the process though.

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya antKat,

Check your wp_sitecategories table in the database for entries there. If they exist we have an issue on the front end. If they don’t exist we’ll have to see about a way to “re-search” the database… I tend to think we’ve shied away from this in the past is that it could be extremely server intensive on a large multisite installs.

Let me ask the developer to confirm.

• Tanmay
    • Flash Drive

1. Goto /wp-includes/category-template.php.

2. find function wp_tag_cloud() and edit taxonomy parameter as shown below:

'taxonomy' => array('post_tag','category'), and save the file.

3. Install PHP code widget.

4. In wordpress admin add PHP code widget to sidebar and add this code shown below and save it:

<?php if ( function_exists('wp_tag_cloud') ) : ?>
    <li>
    <h2>Popular Tags</h2>
    <ul>
    <?php wp_tag_cloud('smallest=8&largest=22'); ?>
    </ul>
    </li>
    <?php endif; ?>

this should do the work. Let me know.

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey there! :slight_smile:

Just checking in to see how things are going with this one and if you need any further help. :slight_smile:

We haven’t heard from you on this thread for a while, perhaps you got help over email. I’m going to presume your all fixed up now and don’t need any further assistance.

However if you have more questions or need some more help then please feel free to respond in this thread or create a new one and we will be more than happy to offer assistance. :slight_smile:

Take care.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.