Categories in wiki

I have an existing mediawiki site at legalwikipro.com/wiki. I am trying to move it over to a new legalwikipro.com/wordpress site with your wiki plugin that I just purchased. The mediawiki site is staying live, and I am copying content over to the legalwikipro/wordpress site, a bit at a time.

I have completed about ten articles, and have added categories and tags to each. However, I can not "see" the categories in the normal "categories" widget. Nor can I get tags to appear in the tag widget.

Any idea what I may be doing wrong? I am using the "Standard 3.0" theme (standardtheme.com). I have also tried it on TwentyEleven, with no joy.

I'm wondering if my existing (live) mediawiki installation may be playing havoc with things. The new wordpress version has not gone public yet.

Ideas?

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings briefer,

Thank you for the great questions and for bringing this significant issue to our attention.

The wiki does indeed have its own widgets, not the standard category widget that is common to most category displays.

Nor can I get tags to appear in the tag widget.

I am with you on this being able to replicate no tags or not being able to render them.

Therefore I will see if I can get the lead developer in here with his invaluable insight into this plugin for his advice/advise for us.

Though this may take a bit longer then a normal ticket, I will try to get him in here asap.

Cheers, Joe

• briefer
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

The wiki does indeed have its own widgets, not the standard category widget that is common to most category displays.

I'm confused. I don't see where the wiki categories can be used/displayed at all. None of the "category" widgets seem to work. What widget works with "categories" in this wiki plugin?

I was able to get the tags to render in the RH column using the tag cloud widget.

Again, the url for the wordpress version of legalwikipro is legalwikipro.com/wordpress .

Any chance of hearing from the developer?

Thanks.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings briefer,

Thank you for the additional input, it is appreciated.

I have indeed flagged the lead developer in here when I said I would, it is documented.

So now the tags are showing and the categories are showing when I visited your site just now - screen shot below.

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• S H Mohanjith
    • Developer

Currently we don't have any tag or category widgets built into the Wiki plugin.

We meant the categories and tags to be used to link between related wiki posts. However I think it would make sense to add a Wiki Tag and Wiki Category widget.

I'll mark this as a feature request. We will add it soon. I'll make it a priority since there are no other alternatives to list the categories.

Thanks!

• briefer
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Developer: Thanks. Since the whole purpose of a wiki is to collect and present information, being able to collect and present the information using categories is really critical.

aecnu: Thanks for getting the developer here. Yeah, I got the tags to work, but the tags seem pretty messy for my purposes. Right now you see several articles from only one state (Oklahoma). I'll have 50 states to deal with, as well as federal. What you show as "categories" really isn't categories - it is just a listing of every wiki on the site. That looks manageable since I just have a few Oklahoma wikis moved over so far. But I'm looking at 50 states and federal, with the possibilities that each one could have hundreds of wikis. Right now I am just going to manually create category pages for each state, and make permalinks to the wikis appropriate to each state. That's kinda labor intensive and clunky (I have to alphabetize the entries on each page, etc.) I'll do that, but one of the main points of a wiki is the ability to automatically create category pages just by putting a tag at the bottom of a post.

But, hey...ya gotta start somewhere.

Thanks for the help.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings briefer,

Thank you for your additional input, it is appreciated.

As the lead developer mentioned, regarding the categories, that he will mark it as a feature request. With that said I will move this to the applicable feature requests areas.

On a side note, if I were personally developing this, I would create a MultiSite sub domain installation and create a sub domain for each state, but that is just my opinion of a better way to construct this though I certainly do not have your vision of how the end game is to look.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

• briefer
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Wow. I was getting all weepy because I was going to have to pay $ a month to wait for you to do this. I thought!

That's good service. You're going to talk me into completely abandoning Mediawiki. :slight_smile:

Now to go learn what I can do with these things.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.