Categories on Links

I'm working on the directory listing for my website.

I wanted it to be categorized so that I can visit them like this.

http://www.local.mobi/web/listings/CATEGORY/STATE/TOWN/NAME-OF-LISTING/

Can I do this with this plugin?

Thanks! :slight_smile: It's nice to be back here.

Cheers!
-AE

• Mark Wallace
    • Learn-ing-er

I am doing that with a multisite install.

I created a subsite for each of the 3110 US counties. Then will use a directory install for each site. this make any one trying to post listings to multiple counties sign up for each county, and pay for each county.

Wither or not it can be done with a single install i am not sure how, but I am sure it can be!

Enjoy!

• MrAmirEmon
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

@MTB1701

Thanks for your reply. I'm going to try that but as much as possible I would like to have it without multisite. I think it is possible as well but I'm also not sure how to do it.
    Maybe anyone could tell us how to do it.

Cheers! :slight_smile:

• Arnold
    • El Macho WP

Sort of.

What you'll get is a permalink

listings/name-of-listing

as the primary.If you create a hierarchy of taxonmoies you'll also get something like

taxonomy/category/state/town/name-of-listing

This assumes category is a top no parent taxonomy, state is a child of category, town is a child of state. Make sure any path is unique orstrange things will happen.

• Mark Wallace
    • Learn-ing-er

@Arnold

On a multisite install
    is there a way to use taxonomy so that all listings can be done in one place "Main Blog" and the other sub-blogs be redirected to each taxonomy.

Example:
    Directory would only be installed on the main blog and not NetWork activated. But when the users make a listing each County/State could have its own (folder/field/tag)<<"Whatever/However" it would/could be done Then have each sub-domain point to its collected listings.

The sub-domain would be like madisonil.MTB1701.com <<and it would point to all listing for Madison County IL.

Is this possible??? Did i explain this well???

• Mark Wallace
    • Learn-ing-er

I never understand why people want to use multisite to split things up into multiple sites and then immediately want to stick everything back together.

Probably because we have NO Idea what we are doing, PMSL lol :slight_smile:

Another member just gave me a plugin to export blog urls and titles in CSV format. I can change that to XLS and import the blogs from another site i have completed them on.

All i need now is a export / import for the directory and i will have cut out 10 days of work. I could go fishing then! :slight_smile: lol

• Mark Wallace
    • Learn-ing-er

@Arnold

I'm not sure how to use taxonomies right now but I'll check it.

That is your answer to this

I never understand why people want to use multisite to split things up into multiple sites and then immediately want to stick everything back together

I do not grasp tags and fields, i know that they help separate data, but i do not know how to utilize this, So i create a multisite to help separate things, then want to make things easy for people to let them add listings in one place, :disappointed:

There are people like you who understand WP in and out.
    There are people who want to know but get overwhelmed with information.
    And you get people who want to click a button and say "it doesn't work fix it!"

Ask a question any where on the web about how to set up a directory, and this is the answer you get.

Use this plugin and set up Taxonomy's
    Use this theme and you good to go!

Back when i used drupal I thought Taxonomy was what i had to pay in taxes for my website. lol

• Mark Wallace
    • Learn-ing-er

I am stuck on fields and tags, i do not know why i cannot grasp it. I know what they are, i know what they do, but i just cannot figure out how to utilize them properly.

Here are some links to help you understand Taxonomy, if you need more just ask. I can send you zip file :slight_smile:

http://speckyboy.com/2012/09/13/understanding-how-to-best-employ-taxonomies-within-wordpress/

http://wordpress.tv/2010/07/09/understanding-taxonomy-wordpress/ <<Video

http://www.vsellis.com/wordpress-how-to/a-basic-explanation-of-wordpress-taxonomies/

http://wordpress.stackexchange.com/questions/45189/help-understanding-taxonomy

http://alexking.org/blog/2011/08/29/wordpress-post-meta-taxonomies

• MrAmirEmon
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

I've attached a screen shot of what I did.

On listing_local - I wanted to add like Local Pub, Local Restaurant etc.
    On categories I've placed Country, State and Town/City.

the link on my post still shows

http://www.local.mobi/web/listings/wine-bank/

I wanted it to show like
    http://www.local.mobi/web/listings/local-pub/australia/victoria/bendigo/wine-bank or
    http://www.local.mobi/web/local-pub/australia/victoria/bendigo/wine-bank.

Can anyone help me how to work with it?

Cheers! TYIA! :slight_smile:

I wanted to do this because on a page I wanted to display listings on by different locals then different country, state and town/city then the name of listings.

so it's like grouping them all.

• Arnold
    • El Macho WP

I can try a tutorial on post types, taxonomies etc.

A post type is just an identifier that tells you how to handle and display a given post. Posts are all stored in the post db table. The data fields are the same. But the post type changes how any given post is handled.

For example an Attachemnet post type is media and files are stored and tracked. A Navigation post type is storage for a menu. A Page post type is a simple static page.

So you can define custom post types for which you then decide how they are displayed and handled. A directory_listing post type tells the system to display this post as a Listing.

Taxonomies are then used to divide posts into various groups. They are attached to given post types.Think of a Taxonomy as a big shelf where you can stack posts. There are two types of Taxonomies, hierachical and non-hierarchical taxonomies.

Non-Hierarchical means you can put bins with labels on the Taxonomy shelf and put the post in separate bins. For example a red bin and a blue bin. Or a glass and plastic bin. These are the Tags that can be applied to posts. They're just labels attached to a post.

A hierarchical taxonomy means you can stick another bin inside bins that are already there. Like a State bin can contain a County bin, and a County bin can contain a Town bin. These are the Categories used for standard Posts. State would be the parent to County and County the parent to Town.

When you create your Categories you create the hierarchy. A Category NY, can have a child named Orange county, and Orange county, a child called Middletown.

In Wordpress when you make a post there are several peramlinks that are calculated. Several ways to address the same listing. You give which shelf to look on(taxonomy), in which bins (categories or tags) and which post.

For a post type you typically get the post-type-name/the-post-slug. So listing/a-listing.

There is also the permalinks calculated from the taxonomies a post may belong to. Format taxonomy-type/taxonomy-name/child-name/post-slug. So in Directory listing-categories/ny/orange/middletown/a-listing.

For a non-hierarchical taxonomy-type/taxonomy-name/post-slug. listing-tags/red/a-listing.

And one post can be in multiple bins at the same time so there are even more ways to get to the same listing.

Custom fields are just extra pieces of data tacked on to a post. They just return a string. It up to you to do something with that string. Display it, use it as a parameter to a piece of code that does something.

• MrAmirEmon
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Thanks for this clarification Arnold! :slight_smile: This helps me understand the taxonomies better but I have some questions with this:

There is also the permalinks calculated from the taxonomies a post may belong to. Format taxonomy-type/taxonomy-name/child-name/post-slug. So in Directory listing-categories/ny/orange/middletown/a-listing.

For a non-hierarchical taxonomy-type/taxonomy-name/post-slug. listing-tags/red/a-listing.

Do I have to change the permalink structure or it should automatically take place?
    do I use %permalink% or %category%/%permalink%

Thanks mate! :slight_smile:

• MrAmirEmon
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

So do i automatically get this structure?

I'm using CustomPress, does that make any difference?

Thanks! :slight_smile:

• Arnold
    • El Macho WP

Wordpress is going to return the shortest url it can as the primary url for a listing. The others will work but that's not what your going to get as the Title url. Shortest is typically the post_type/post-slug.

Makes sense because the shorter url has fewer search terms and so loads the system less.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.