Categories & Sub Categories (not displaying sub cats)

Hi All
OK i'm having an issue with categories and sub categories.
Im new at this so dont know if its something i'm doing wrong or if its a conflict between marketpress and my theme.
i would like to have what i would class as a standard layout on my shop where if a category has sub categories, then if you open that category, it logically and automatically shows you the sub categories, rather than only displaying all the products within those sub categories, which is what is happening with my site at the moment.

please take a look at....
http://www.pcperfect.co/store/

i have created a simple table with my main categories. for example if you click on the networking link, it takes you to the networking category, which has 2 sub cats, ADSL & DSL, yet it does not display these, only the products within the 2 sub cats. Why is it doing this????????
if this is norm, it kind of defeats the object of having sub cats, or am i doing something wrong??????

PLEASE HELP
many thanks

• waynerp
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Hi Digitsoft

I did initially use the shortcodes [mp_list_categories] & [mp_dropdown_categories], but they both left a gap between one specific category. i put a post on her before, and someone suggested that it might be a conflict with the theme i'm using, which is why i have made my own simple table layout, as im by no means an expert.
    what im finding difficult to understand is why it isn't 'Standard' as it is on ALL other carts both free and paid to be able to simply display the sub categories, without the having all the hassle of coding.

• 3SixtyEvolve
    • New Recruit

Hi Wayne

Thank you for being a member and for posting this question to the forum.

It is normal for MarketPress to show all products that are listed within a category (and that includes its sub-categories) when clicking on the category link. However, if someone clicks on the sub-category link it will only display the products listed under that sub-category.

I agree with @digitsoft that there is no easy way to achieve what you want unless you do some custom coding. The shortcodes is an easy fix, but as he pointed out is not exactly what you want.

I wish we had a quick solution for you, but in this case there isn't, sorry.

Wish you all the best with your site - it is looking very good!

Have a blessed day.

Gina

• 3SixtyEvolve
    • New Recruit

Hi Wayne

I'm just brainstorming here, but if you created a basic table on your homepage to display the categories, why not display the subcategories below each one (of course in smaller font) with a link to that sub-category. That would solve the problem for you.

Have a good day!

Gina

• waynerp
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Thanks for your help digitsoft & Gina.
    maybe its just me but i've used a few carts and own an auction site, and it is standard that when you click on a category, the next page to load is the sub categories, its kind of obvious! why this system chooses to display all the items in the main category is beyond me, it literally defeats the object of having sub categories, either that or they expect you to be able to do the coding yourself , which again defeats the object of paying for the software, which i hoped did the basics without the need for custom themes or paying someone to do what it should do anyway.

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

maybe its just me but i've used a few carts and own an auction site, and it is standard that when you click on a category, the next page to load is the sub categories, its kind of obvious! why this system chooses to display all the items in the main category is beyond me, it literally defeats the object of having sub categories, either that or they expect you to be able to do the coding yourself , which again defeats the object of paying for the software, which i hoped did the basics without the need for custom themes or paying someone to do what it should do anyway.

Our plugin uses the WordPress system of Custom Post Types to achieve the result you see.

If you wish to customise templates away from the normal way WordPress handles that then you can directly within your theme files.

Here are the functions from the WP codex:

http://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/get_categories
    http://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/wp_list_cats#Show_Children_Only_of_Category

And as mentioned:

http://codex.wordpress.org/Template_Tags/wp_list_categories

Themes and theme templates are there to handle that sort of thing for you.

Thanks.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.