categories, sub categories, sub sub categories, and tags

I have 17 contests, all 17 contest are in every county, in every US state.

So would the 17 contest be the parent category and the 50 states be subcategories and the counties be? Or should the State be parent category, counties be subcategories, and the 1-17 contest be sub sub categories?

Example:

Contest1

>>State1

>>>County1

>>>County2

>>State2

>>>County1

>>>County2

Or

State

>>County1

>>> Contest1

>>> Contest2

>>County2

>>> Contest1

>>> Contest2

The tags would be the entry itself; correct?

And how would I use gravity forms to place the entry in a sub sub category? <<If you want to skip that one I will take it up with GF!

Thanks!

• Erik
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Methods of organization always differ, but my suggestion would be to keep them separate.

I would suggest categories of country with sub cats of states/regions

then another set of parent level categories with the contest categories.

then you simply check the country and state, then check the contest parallel to the other choice.

To be really pro, I would create a custom taxonomy called ‘location’ that works hierarchically as cats do, and add that to your post editor page. That way you can keep the contest the category, and the location info as another taxonomy.

as far as gravity forms is concerned, you should really separate your forum thread issues into two posts for ease of answering and lookup. BUT, I will say that Grav Forms has some great tutorials on adding posts via the frontend and specifying the cat or post type or whatever that it goes into..

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Well… Thats really only something you can ultimate decide.

You could use tags for your contests or create a custom taxonomy to handle that separately. That way should a contest stop or change it doesn’t affect sub categories doing it your way.

I would then use categories for:

State1

>>County1

>>County2

State2

>>County3

>>County4

If you were going to do countries then have the parent be the country.

Take care.

• Mark Wallace
    • Learn-ing-er

I did not recieve notification that anyone responded. :disappointed:

Ok i love the idea of taxonomy! Now i only see three “Categories, tags, and links. I do not see a option to create a new taxonomy. In fact i have not been able to find this option in WP. I guess i have to check for a plugin. lol

State1

>>County1

>>County2

State2

>>County3

>>County4

Just to be sure; i notice the state2 uses county3 and county4. All states can have county1 and county2 with out a conflict right? there are 3100+ counties in the USA. averge about 50 per state.

@erik

as far as gravity forms is concerned, you should really separate your forum thread issues into two posts for ease of answering and lookup. BUT, I will say that Grav Forms has some great tutorials on adding posts via the frontend and specifying the cat or post type or whatever that it goes into..

Sorry for the inconvenience! I figured that with it all being the same question concerning the sub sub categories i may as well post it here.

I am still reading about the hooks in GF that rob sent me. I will seek his guidnece about the sub sub categories. lol.

Thank You Fella’s

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey again

Just to be sure; i notice the state2 uses county3 and county4. All states can have county1 and county2 with out a conflict right? there are 3100+ counties in the USA. averge about 50 per state.

I do it that way just to show they are unique, but let me use a UK example so I don’t have to go Googing :slight_smile:

England

– Yorkshire

– – Sheffield

– – Leeds

– Buckinghamshire

— Aylesbury

— Buckingham

– Oxfordshire

Does that better demo?

And ya CustomPress will let you create new Post Types and Taxonomies. It looks like you have a custom post type (CTP) for each contest? Is that how you wish to do it, then each one has its own taxonomy?

That works too. Really how you wish for it to work is entirely up to you. But then you would need to create the county lists as a taxonomy in each CTP, it’s more work for you.

If you have one CPT for contents, then have the Taxonomies for the county list its one lot of “3100+ counties” you have to create.

But there are probably more ways to handle it, If it were my project I would sit down and pencil out a few ideas, I would look at trying to keep it as simple as possible to lower admin time and ongoing maintenance.

Take care.

• Mark Wallace
    • Learn-ing-er

I C, So

Contest (CPT)

>Madison, IL (Cat)

>>Contest1 (Sub Cat)

>>Contest10 (Sub Cat)

>>Contest17 (Sub Cat)

>Madison, MO (Cat)

>>Contest1 (Sub Cat)

>>Contest10 (Sub Cat)

>>Contest17 (Sub Cat)

Thanks! You saved me a few weeks of work, add that to the few weeks you saved me in the support chat, That puts me back on track for a 2013 launch of 3 websites.

Nicely done Sir Timothy! :slight_smile:

• Mark Wallace
    • Learn-ing-er

Are your contests likely to stop or change? If not that should be nice and easy down the road.

How would a contest change be a problem? And please give seggestion on how to avoid that.

I think i may have misunderstood this:

You could use tags for your contests or create a custom taxonomy to handle that separately. That way should a contest stop or change it doesn’t affect sub categories doing it your way.

State1

>>County1

>>County2

State2

>>County3

>>County4

Thanks!

• Mark Wallace
    • Learn-ing-er

Sorry to drag this out, but it is a lot of work to get wrong, I am about to delete the 3100+ sites i set up for a classifieds section. that was a waste of time, I just do not want to get it wrong agian. lol

Thanks!

I call you sir Timothy, because when i write the Queen to request my families land back, i am going to ask her to “Knight” You. lol All in the same letter. hehehehe

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

How would a contest change be a problem? And please give seggestion on how to avoid that.

Well in your example:

>Madison, IL (Cat)

>>Contest1 (Sub Cat)

>>Contest10 (Sub Cat)

>>Contest17 (Sub Cat)

You have those contests under madison, so when they change or expire you still have em there unless you remove and create new ones.

Creating news one could make a long list.

My suggestion was one taxonomy as:

England

– Yorkshire

– – Sheffield

– – Leeds

– Buckinghamshire

— Aylesbury

— Buckingham

– Oxfordshire

And then use tags for the competitions or look at creating a second taxonomy for contests.

As some extra manual work you could consider looking at allowing them to filter by multiple taxonomies so they can find X comp in X country.

Another option is to have each state have its own site in a multisite. Then you could have unique themes for local-ish events like Google does with their logo.

Lots of options really. As I said “If it were my project I would sit down and pencil out a few ideas, I would look at trying to keep it as simple as possible to lower admin time and ongoing”.

Take care.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.