Category Import from CSV Files

One would think this should be pretty straightforward, however, I'm running into roadblocks or way outdated info (google 2012 entries for WordPress).

Situation: I have two CSV (excel) spreadsheets that each have a list of about 100 retailers. the first list is restaurants and second is retailers. I'm setting up a blog for people to leave reviews for each restaurant or retailer. The only way I can think of the post getting connected to the correct company is to set each company up as a category and then within my post submission form have the visitor leaving the review select the company from a category drop down list. There are a total of about 230 companies (food and retailers combined) for the reviewer to select from.

Originally I thought of creating an individual page for each and then setup the form to drop the post on to that page, but that's a little page crazy.

I then thought of using bbPress forums but that creates navigational nightmares with the sheer depth of links (ie /forum/forums/topic/replies). So I decided against that due to menu navigation issues.

I decided to use a simple blog page in timeline format but I can't seem to find a simple way to import just categories.

Do you know of an easy way to import just categories into WordPress? I've tried WP All Imports, and a few others but they don't import categories. Have I overlooked what should be something simple?

Thanks

• Nithin

Hey Slade,

Hope you are doing good today. :slight_smile:

Do you know of an easy way to import just categories into WordPress? I've tried WP All Imports, and a few others but they don't import categories. Have I overlooked what should be something simple?

What content does the CSV file consist of? Like the CSV file consist of a Custom Post Type? And you only want to import only categories from it?

Or the CSV file only consist of 100 names of your retailers?

You could try the following plugin, and see whether it fits to your needs, if the CSV consist of a Custom Post Type:
    https://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-ultimate-csv-importer/

Other than that, if the CSV file only consist of 100 name of your retailers, and you only want to change these into categories, then as a workaround you can install the following plugin:
    https://wordpress.org/plugins/really-simple-csv-importer/

Once done, make sure to create a CSV file with the following format:

post_category	post_type
    Company One	post
    Company Two	post
    Company Three	post

Where post_category, and post_type are the column names, and "Company One" would be the category name, and "post" would be the post type on which the category would get created.

You can then import the CSV, using the mentioned plugin, under Tools > Import > CSV .

I tested this in my system, and it does seem to work fine. Would recommend you test this with some 4 sample datas, and see how that goes. However, it'll show that the post titles are empty, which you can ignore.

I hope this helps. Please advise if I'm missing out anything here. Have a nice day. :slight_smile:

Best Regards,
    Nithin

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.