Category Links and Sidebar Problems.

Hey I have 1 question and 1 problem.

For starters. My question is if I can show product links in my Category sidebar. I want people to be able to see the categories, and be able to access the products from the same sidebar. Rather then having to select the category and then click on the product in the grid on the next page. Is there any simple way of doing this? Would I have to manipulate the taxonomy in some way?

Now for the problem I'm having, I've had a little bit of a problem that stems from the sidebar widget actually running between the rest of the content rather than beside it. My fix for this was to move the php tag of it from below the content to above it, and to just float it to the left, this works well on every type of page so far, except it has a weird problem on the individual product pages, where this causes the metadata and the buy button to get nudged all the way to the bottom of the page.

Here is an example of a product page with this problem...

http://www.cornerbutchershop.com/cbsTest/store/products/filet-mignon/

I've tried going through the css to see if there was some problem there,

This is what the .php file for mp_product.php looks like. (Not sure what the source embed tag is for this so I'll just post it normally for now.)

<?php // custom template for product single view
get_header(); ?>

<div style="float:left;margin-left:25px"><?php get_sidebar(); ?></div>
<div id="content">

<h1 class="post-title"><?php the_title(); ?></h1>
<?php if (have_posts()) : while (have_posts()) : the_post(); ?>
<div class="product-photo"><?php mp_product_image(true, 'single', null); ?></div>
<div class="product-details">
<div class="content-box">
<?php the_content(); ?>

<?php echo framemarket_product_meta(); ?>
</div></div>
<?php endwhile; else: ?>
<p><?php _e( 'Sorry, no posts matched your criteria.', 'framemarket' ) ?></p>
<?php endif; ?>
</div>

<?php get_footer() ?>

I'm using Gridmarket for this, any help would be fantastic.

• Ollie
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Hey @will_fuelling

Here is the answer to your problem.

in your grid.css inside your theme. around line 247 (or you should be able to just add this line to your styles.css)

Add this line;

.product-details, .content-box { clear: none !important; }

The problem is that white box is trying to clear on both sides so the menu pushes it to the bottom.

As for the question;

Yes you need to use the appropriate widgets, you can also completely customise the menus by creating a new custom menu in Appearances > Menu and then adds the Custom Menu widget.

(You can add as many custom menus as you want).

Cheers,
    Billy

• aristath
    • Recruit

Hello there @will_fuelling and welcome to the WPMU-DEV Community!

For starters. My question is if I can show product links in my Category sidebar. I want people to be able to see the categories, and be able to access the products from the same sidebar. Rather then having to select the category and then click on the product in the grid on the next page. Is there any simple way of doing this? Would I have to manipulate the taxonomy in some way?

How do you imagine this working? Any examples on other sites that I can take a look at?

Now regarding your issue, our theme seems to be missing a wrapper for the main area...

You could open a wrapper div in your theme's header file and close that div in your theme's footer.
    Once do that, you should be able to line things up properly by adding a couple of css lines in your theme's style.css file.

I hope that helps...
    If you need any further assistance on this issue don't hesitate to post a reply.
    Cheers,
    Ari.

• aristath
    • Recruit

Hiya, just going through some of the older threads here.

As it's been a little while since we last heard from you I thought I'd check in to see how you're going?

If you're still looking for some further assistance with this thread then please feel free to reopen the thread or of course for any new and related issues you are most welcome to open a new thread.

Thanks.
    Ari.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.