category not protected

hi, this is the second version im buying, im trying to protect a category but is not working at all, please advise, i tought it was because i was using old version but looks like it is something else

thanks

• aristath
    • Recruit

Hello @iero!

I’ m in the eastern side, no answers at all while im awake, bought twice the membership plugin and no support

Well, there are hundreds of posts that we need to address! We do our best to answer as quickly as possible, but I personally am located in Eastern Europe so we have a bit of a time-zone issue there. :slight_smile:

As for the “no support” part, I’ll have to disagree with you on that. If you take a look at the forums you’ll see literally hundreds of people praising our support. Just the fact that it took me 21 hours to answer to your last post doesn’t qualify as “bad support”, considering that in that time I had to resolve a dozen of other posts that were posted before yours and on top of that, when you’re awake I’m probably asleep due to our time-zone difference.

Now, to the issue at hand!

When you say that

im trying to protect a category

Do you mean that you’re trying to protect the category page itself, the posts that belong to belong to that category or both?

To protect the category page itself, you’d select it from the menu on the right, or simply enter its url (there are some great tutorials on that here).

To protect the posts that belong to a category, you’ll have to use regular expressions. I am quoting an excerpt from page 44 of the plugin manual that you can download from the product page (it’s on the “usage” tab):

Regular Expression – If any of your URLs have regular expressions in them, you must enable this option.

If we enable Regular Expressions then as an example we could protect all posts in a category whilst still enabling access to the category archive page.

So in the Page URLs we would enter:

http://domain.com/category/.+

The “.+” is known as a Regular Expression. In the above example, it will allow access to the category but then protect all the contents (single pages/posts/custom post type) of that category.

Of course you’ll also have to make sure that your permalinks structure for posts is category/post-name for the above rule to work.

If you need to protect both the category page AND the posts that belong to that category, simply do both of the above!

I hope that helps!

If not, simply post back here with more details about what you’re actually trying to achieve, what you’ve already tried to do and your current settings/configuration.

The more we know about your use case, the better we’ll be able to help you out and find a solution to your issue.

Cheers,

Ari.

• iero
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

hi, thanks,

By category in wordpress i only means all the post within a “category”, thats the only thing i need for now with a free membership, this is a school, so, the levels are teachers, parents and visitor. I used this plugin before and it was working, i think i know how to use it, this is the issue

1.- my access levels with positive rules are assigned to parent and teacher with the category name selected, this way does not work, un less

2.- i assig also negative rules to level visitors. But, if i do this, the user registered, lets say as a parent, can’t see the content because, i guess, is also a visitor and there is contradiction

i have read the manual, watch the videos and im almost about to give up with this, tried every posible way with last version and this new one, the behabior is the same, i would prefer at this point to give u access to the site, please.

thanks

• iero
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

just to clarify, we are developers at http://www.paginasweb.pe and we specialize in wordpress, this is not new for us, something is not right, maybe with past installations?, other plugins? we deleted all other posible plugins that can make conflicts, also, cleaned up the database, clean horphans wp options, etc, dont know what elese to do

thanks

• aristath
    • Recruit

@iero

Here’s what I have done so far:

– I added these categories to the negative rules for visitors

– I created a new account. That account was automatically assigned the “Visitor” role.

– I logged in using my “visitor” account. Using that account, the categories that I put on the negative rules are not visible. So I have verified that they ARE protected from visitors.

What I noticed though is that the users that you have set up as “Profesor” and “Padre de Familia” also have the Visitor role assigned to them!!

Since they also have the “visitor” role, I suppose that they won’t be able to see the protected categories. This is because negative rules have priority over positive ones.

Could you remove the visitor role from these users and test again? If you do I guess it will all work fine.

Please advise,

Ari.

• iero
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

thanks, i just did a test in another browser, first screenshot, it was a button confirm, is not there, anyway, no problem, we will modify the design anyway, so, i went to control panel as admin, 2nd screenshot user test01, how can i know to what group the user suscribed?

What you suggest is that should appear, let say, parent and visitor, that way i know he suscribes to parent group, so if i drop the visitor type he will be able to see the content, it looks like this is a way around and not actual funcionality, i think this because i make it work when i bought the first version

please advise

• aristath
    • Recruit

When a user subscribes, the visitor level is automatically deleted and the new level replaces that.

So there shouldn’t be 2 roles in a user, just one!

If you manually added the roles for testing purposes then it’s understandable that there were 2, as when you do it manually you’ll have to add a role and remove another.

Cheers,

Ari.

• aristath
    • Recruit

The registration of your user is never completed because as you say, the confirm button is missing when a user tries to subscribe.

If the subscription is not confirmed, then no role is assigned!

This could simply be a theming issue.

Can you change the theme to twentytwelve and test it there?

• aristath
    • Recruit

I meant that the disappearance of the confirmation button could be a theming issue.

And without that button, you can’t confirm the subscription, therefore the roles are never applied.

Your access levels are fine, the only thing missing is the push of that button and you can’t push it because you can’t see it!

The button is on the frontend, so maybe this is a theming issue.

Cheers,

Ari.

• aristath
    • Recruit

The original poster of this issue is no longer an active member on these forums.

I am marking this issue as resolved.

If however at some time the member becomes active again and the issue still exists, don’t hesitate to reopen it and post an update on your current status.

Cheers!

Ari.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.