Category pages

How do I change the title of the category pages? On http://breakingsfnews.com/causes that shows the title of all posts categorized Causes, the page is called "Archives / Causes". Can it be renamed "Causes" easily? Thank you.

• Brian Purkiss
    • Smushie Pies

How comfortable are you with WordPress themes, HTML, or PHP?

Changing the name will only require that you open the proper template file and find and remove "Archive | " from the file. For most themes, this will be a quick and easy fix. If your theme contains a "category.php" file, open that and find and remove the proper text. If there is no category.php file, you'll need to open up "archive.php" and do the same. If there's no archive.php file, "index.php" is the file you'll need to edit.

If you aren't comfortable editing WordPress themes, I can whip you up a quick child theme to use. You'll need to upload a zipped version of your theme for me.

• pkitano
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi Brian,

Thanks so much, I was traveling the Thanksgiving Holiday so I didn't have time to prepare to take your recommendations until now. I can go into the WP php files and change them, but I could not find the category.php file, and the archive.php file had no "Archive |" to edit out. How do you use a Child Theme?

I have another quick question that you may know the answer to. If not, I will open another topic.

I don't have a screenshot but it's not necessary. I have an admin who enters html code into the Woo Canvas theme but it disappears when she publishes it (blank). If she is elevated to superadmin like me, then the code sticks. Is this a theme problem?

• Brian Purkiss
    • Smushie Pies

Could you please provide me with a list of files in your theme?

I'm sorry, but I am not familiar with WooThemes themes. So I'm not sure if I'll be able to help you, but I'll try.

Where is the admin entering the HTML? A post area? Widget? Elsewhere? And what HTML is he/she adding? Some areas of WordPress only support basic HTML, like strong, em, a, img, etc.

• pkitano
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

I'm not sure how to make a list copy of the files in the theme folder. I can sendbigfiles this to you if you provide an email address.

I fixed the html problem using the plugin unfiltered mu. WP was filtering/deleting the iframe code and the plugin worked. Thank you so much for your attention, you're great...

• pkitano
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

HI Brian, I sent the woo canvas file by sendbigfiles to your email address last night.

Also do you know WP design? I need to find a theme that is appropriate for our 300 city news network, one example is breakingsfnews.com. The tile content is iframed but I'd like to find a template that looks like qz.com.

Thanks for your help!

• Brian Purkiss
    • Smushie Pies

I searched my email as well as my spam folder but was unable to find it. Mind trying again?

That is an extremely broad question as there are so many factors to consider when choosing a WordPress theme. It isn't really possible for me to answer such a big question based on the information you have provided. There are many WordPress theme marketplaces out there – I would encourage you to take a look at them. Heres a list of my favorite WordPress theme marketplaces if you are interested.

• pkitano
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

I sent to you at your email address.

I appreciate your answers, and the link. I think I've found a solution, it's simply working on Canvas.

I have one more quick (possibly related) question as the "Archive |" question. You can see on my example breakingsfnews.com that there is a space between the navbar and the iframed content. This space was occupied by the page title, but I hid it using a code I found. Is there a way of getting rid of all that white space so the content fits snugly below the lower border of the navbar?

I really appreciate your help Brian

• Brian Purkiss
    • Smushie Pies

I found the email this time in my spam. Not sure what happened the first time. Do you still need me to look into it?

It is possible to bring that closer. To start, go to line 229 of your theme's style.css file. In the #navigation ID, remove the "margin-bottom" line. That'll bring it in closer. Personally I am a huge fan of space in web design and wouldn't recommend bringing it any closer then that.

• Imperative Ideas
    • HummingBird

Pkitano -

You can also make a copy of your category.php page and call it category-causes.php (similar for archive.php). That will give you a different template that is specific to causes.

You will probably see this at the top of the template:

<?php get_header(); ?>

Your title resides in the header. You may want to create a file called header-causes.php and change that to:

<?php get_header('causes'); ?>

From there, re-style the title area in the header-causes.php, which is called by your category/archive templates.

This is really light PHP stuff that is important to know how to do in WordPress. I'd suggest backing up your files and experimenting with it some time (though ideally, do so on a localhost instead of live).

One of the most useful default-templates you will see in a theme is page-home.php (vs page.php, which controls all pages - as opposed to posts - other than the home page). Now you know what you're looking at. With that said, advanced theme developers won't necessarily create a dozen different headers... they will use WordPress conditional statements and call sections using get_template_part(). We can talk about that another day though :wink:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.