Category protected, however, individuals posts are not & buddypress pages too

Heya fab people,

Have a few questions I’d like to ask regarding the membership plugin.

I’ve been working with it and notice that even though category is protected (for stranger)

For instance, check http://resscity.com/category/video

The individuals posts related to the category is not:

http://resscity.com/category/video/you-cant-make-someone-change

Been trying to find a work around for this by playing with permalink settings, without any success though.

So I thought I post it up here to get any insights.

Also, one thing I notice is even though I restrict access to the buddpress pages, they are all still accessible to strangers.

I’m using WordPress 3.0.4 multi site enabled and buddypress 1.2.7.

Thanks for the help!

• ahermanto
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Here is some attachment that you might find useful:

1. members can still be seen by clicking on "all member"

2. & 3. are showing that the buddypress pages and categories disabled under negative rules

Do let me know if there's work around this or the new version is coming up soon.

I notice that there's a few other forum posts regarding this issue.

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya ahermanto,

First off, welcome to WPMU DEV!

I’ll ask Barry to comment on this. I know the issue of individual posts being visible within a category has been reported before, but not up to date as to whether this was resolved.

Thanks for posting the screenshots and links. We’ll take a look!

• Fool
    • Flash Drive

11 Months later – I would say this is still an open issue. As of Membership 2.1 the category page does not show protected posts to a non-subscriber – but individual posts are definitely accessible to everyone no matter what has been set in the membership level rules for category. Any chance WPMUDEV is working on a fix? If not, you might at least update your installation instructions to state more clearly that, in-fact, the plugin does not include the ability to lock down certain posts belonging to a subscriber-only category.

• SJoAnneF
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

My stranger level is visitor. And the visitor level has a negative rule for category that prohibits "Instructors Corner" as seen in the screenshots.

Plus, you can see from the links in the previous post, the specific post is marked as instructor's corner, but it you go to the link that shows the entire instructors corner category, it's not there. So some part of the protection is working, but not all of it.

It also show up under the activity of the buddypress page:

http://k9universe.com/activity/

second item.

• SJoAnneF
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Ok – exciting. I just added a page that I wanted protected. And it wasn’t! So then I had a eureka moment and added a restricted content page. I had thought I’d get some generic ‘not found’ message (I was building up my membership bit by bit). But it turns out, if you don’t have a restricted page set up, it just ignores the fact that it’s suppose to be restricted!

This doesn’t seem right, but at least I’m past it. However, you still see the excerpt on buddypress.

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

But it turns out, if you don’t have a restricted page set up, it just ignores the fact that it’s suppose to be restricted!

:slight_smile: Yes, because the plugin has no idea what to do or where to direct the user.

Re: buddypress issue – your protecting by category yes? Can you do a quick test for me and try protecting a single post and see if that stops it showing up? Just to check that the rules are being run on the page that is showing the content.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.