CDN Bandwidth

Hey team, i reached out about a week ago in regards to an email I received that said "Hey Rosario!

You have exceeded your 10GB Smush CDN bandwidth limit…." Now I went into my account and i saw that "92.44 GB of 10.00 GB Used" Now i am not sure how i went over the limit so much and i know we need to update our plan, however; i wasn't sure how much i needed for a monthly amount. So i went to Chat support and talked to one of your agents and told him everything i just told you, and he was confused of the fact we went over so much. He wasn't sure what was going on and wanted to reach out to higher support and get back to me by email or ticket, however i don't see either. So i wanted to make a ticket this time and i wanted to see what can be done. Please let me know if we can estimate what plan we need so i can get approval to upgrade please? Also keep in mind we use these plugins on a ton of website so not sure if that caused the issue but I wanted to make sure it was known. Thank you in advance!

• Dimitris
    • Support Star

Hello there TB Team

Hope you’re doing good and I’m really for missing contacting back to you.

To make this clear, the Smush CDN bandwidth is for all connected websites using the Smush CDN service and, unfortunately, there isn’t any way currently to measure the bandwidth used by each installation separately.

Now about the limits we have, like the free 10GB plan for all WPMUDEV premium members. The CDN usage is calculated every day per last 30 days. As soon as we detect that the limit is reached, CDN is stopped and images are being served by the local server instead. The daily check will still happen though, so as long as the next day the limit isn’t reached then the CDN will be enabled again.

If you’re not getting these CDN overcapacity messages pretty often, like daily, then it means that there shouldn’t be any exceptional need for more space and most probably the next Smush CDN level that provides 50GB/month should be enough for your needs.

Hope that clarifies things better! :slight_smile:

Thank you,

Dimitris

• TB Team
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hey Dimitris,

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly! So I might have not been clear enough and I want to explain a bit more detail my issue/question. So the email I got only came in once. When I looked into the email I notice that this was our current usage – 92.44 GB of 10.00 GB Used, as you can see right now we are still at the same exact amount, I go the email on 8-9-19 so about 18 days ago, and have not gotten any since. Now I do understand the usage is calculated by all websites connected to the CDN. My question is what is my monthly usage so that I can gauge what Plan to upgrade to? I do not know if the 50GB a Month plan will be enough if we went up to 92 GB. So I am not sure if that will be enough. Also one part you mentioned got me a tad confused, “The daily check will still happen though, so as long as the next day the limit isn’t reached then the CDN will be enabled again.” Is their a daily limit? Or are you saying that the CDN will be checked everyday, and if the CDN limit is not reached then it will continue, if it is at its limit then it will not run and our local server will service the image instead, is that correct?

• Dimitris
    • Support Star

My question is what is my monthly usage so that I can gauge what Plan to upgrade to?

As mentioned before, there’s no monthly usage, but we count the usage of the last 30 days. So there’s no safe way to measure the usage of a month. You will need to upgrade to a higher plan and see if it will be enough for your connected sites after a period of 30 days.

Is their a daily limit? Or are you saying that the CDN will be checked everyday, and if the CDN limit is not reached then it will continue, if it is at its limit then it will not run and our local server will service the image instead, is that correct?

There’s no daily limit, only the limit of the current plan which is being compared daily to the total bandwidth used during the last 30 days. If the limit is over, then CDN will be turned off automatically, so images will be served from your local server instead.

Thank you,

Dimitris

• TB Team
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

As mentioned before, there’s no monthly usage, but we count the usage of the last 30 days. So there’s no safe way to measure the usage of a month. You will need to upgrade to a higher plan and see if it will be enough for your connected sites after a period of 30 days.

Isn’t this a little built flawed. I am here trying to figure out what plan to upgrade too, but there is no record of how much bandwidth on the CDN I used. I get it reads the last 30 days. So if that’s the case Dimitris it would seem that would be a good guess/assumption that 100GB would be needed at the very least as i used 92 GB in the past 30 days? Meaning if I got the email on the 9th of August, that means from July 9th – August 9th is the range of the 92GB used?

My confusion stems from now knowing when the renewal of the Bandwidth of the CDN so that I now the amount I have used in my monthly bill cycle.

To build off what I said above, lets say every 2nd of the month we enter a billing cycle. Lets also say I have a 50GB plan for the CDN. So with this example it would mean that from lets say July 2nd – August 2nd I have a total of 50GB to use. If I used over 50 GB I would get an email saying we hit the limit and I should would consider upgrading the plan on the Bandwidth. If I do not use all the bandwidth then on the August 2nd comes along my bandwidth replenishment and I am back at 50GB for the month.

So if all the above is true, and me looking at our billing cycle, it seems that on the 9th of every month is our new cycle. If that is the case that means on August 9th when the new billing cycle started, i hit 92GB within the same day, that means the 10GB free I had with the account went over its limit 9 times over and all in one day. So my concern is am I using more then 100GB a day? How much would I use in a month? According to what you said, you and your team have no idea how much I would use in a cycle which makes it hard to pick a plan, also I do not know how I was able to go over my limit 9 times over. So either there is a glitch or something isn’t right, but I want to make sure what is going on is corrected or better explained as it is possible I misunderstood. I am also worried because if I used 92GB in one day of our cycle that means i would need practically 100GB a day which is about 3TB a month at the current load. Thanks again for the help I know this was a long reply I just wanted to express my Concerns.

• Aaron
    • CTO

We don't do CDN billing based on monthly cycle. Instead you should just project how much you will need per month based on average usage. I agree that with the stats we provide currenlty thats a bit hard to do. I've attached your detailed stats for the last 2 months so you can make a better projection.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.