CDN for main blog of a multisite - impossible?

How do you configure CDN on the main blog of a multisite? I'm trying to use Amazon Cloudfront on webhive.com.au.

I can’t create a CNAME record for Cloudfront because you can’t create a CNAME on a root domain. That’s against the DNS protocols.

So I decided to let Amazon Route 53 manage my DNS. But it said:

Amazon Route 53 automatically creates a name server (NS) resource record set that has the same name as your hosted zone. It lists the four name servers that are the authoritative name servers for your hosted zone. Do not add, change, or delete name servers in this resource record set.

But I absolutely need my own name servers. They're authoritative for my clients' domains and are needed to map my clients’ domains to their websites on my server.

Am I missing anything, or is it impossible to run CDN on the main blog of a subdomain multisite?

Thanks
Jackie

• James Morris
    • WordPress Enthusiast

Hello Jackie,

I hope you are well today.

To be honest, I've not seen an instance of running a CDN on only the primary domain. However, it is possible to run a CDN on a multisite subdomain install provided the CDN supports wildcard DNS entries.

Looking at the FAQ for Amazon Route 53, it seems they do support wildcard DNS. https://aws.amazon.com/route53/faqs/#does_r53_support_wildcard

Also, specific Cloudflare packages support this as well. https://support.cloudflare.com/hc/en-us/articles/200168826-Does-CloudFlare-support-wildcard-DNS-entries-

So, it is possible to offer automatic subdomain creation using wildcard DNS and still use a CDN.

I hope this clarifies a bit.

Best regards,

James Morris

• Jackie
    • Flash Drive

Hi James

Thanks for your reply.

I've got about 60 client domains on my server, some on my Wordpress multisite and some on Cpanel Hosting. Even if I used wildcard DNS for *.webhive.com.au, the other domains would stuff up wouldn't they? So I'd have to recreate all 60 of the zones on Amazon Route 53. Generally Cpanel handles some of that. It all sounds really messy.

I'm wondering if I can work around this by either:
    - Registering a new domain and using that for the CDN. And then using a plugin like WP Offload S3 Lite to serve up CDN content (if I can get it to work - it was breaking my plugins page). But then, would Google penalise me for duplicate content? Or...
    - Creating a subdomain on webhive.com.au. Then I could use a CNAME record. I guess if I do that, I'll need to clone the main blog's content to another blog and then set up 301 redirects. Is that right?

Thanks
    Jackie

• James Morris
    • WordPress Enthusiast

Hello Jackie,

By the sounds of things, what you're most concerned with is a CDN for your images. If this is the case, you may want to consider a plugin like W3 Total Cache or WP Super Cache instead. In a multisite network, these can be configured to run on any subsite you want, and can even be configured to run on different accounts per site.

This will eliminate the need for complicated DNS setups and will allow you to only offload what you need to offload. Also, W3 Total Cache has the benefit of caching your pages as static pages which significantly improves performance.

I hope this helps!

Best regards,

James Morris

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.