[CDN?] Site loading slow due to WPMU domain-dependent files

Hi — I am trying to transfer our site host from Google Cloud to Siteground, so I set up a copy of our site on Siteground under the domain weareowa.com. Our original site is outdoorwomensalliance.com. I wanted to test things before committing to the copy on Siteground, so we currently have both sites running (you can think of the Siteground-hosted site, weareowa.com, as our "Staging" site). The copy was transferred over yesterday to Siteground successfully. However, because it was an exact replica of our original site, a number of files — which are hosted through WPMU's tools, from what the support agents saw in the files — are still pointing to outdoorwomensalliance.com instead of weareowa.com, which is causing significant load times. Because I want to test which host environment is best between the two, I need for WPMU not to point to the original site, but to have it point to weareowa.com files/CSS/etc. I'm not sure I'm explaining this precisely right, but I'm hoping the following makes sense from the Siteground tech support guys:

--- Start of Siteground tech support response ---
The website weareowa.com is loading slow because more than 150 css/js files on the landing page are loading with error 403 from a third party CDN service. It seems that the CDN is also domain dependent as the files can load from

Code:
hb.wpmucdn.com/www.outdoorwomensalliance.com/7c1179c4-8413-4b7a-a8c0-670371ab5250.js

But not from:

Code:
hb.wpmucdn.com/www.weareowa.com/7c1179c4-8413-4b7a-a8c0-670371ab5250.js

That is something we have no control over and you need to consult with WPMUDEV as these resources are loading from them.

These css files do not exist on your file system so the CDN cannot be simply disabled. You need to configure the application to load these resources from the external CDN without the 403 error message. Please check the settings of this CDN and make sure to update the URL to weareowa.com.

The website will load slow due to the large number of 403 errors generated by the CDN.

--- End of Siteground tech support response ---

How do we fix this? Thank you!

• Gina

Thank you for your response.

The site was working this morning with photos and etc., it just loaded really slowly due to the redirects. However, now I notice that some of the images aren't working after the asset optimization was disabled. I did let the Siteground team know about your response by copying and pasting it into the support ticket there. Their response is this:

Indeed, the css/js issue is resolved but the 503 errors are caused by the large number of missing images:

https://ibb.co/7g4ftPs

Each image loading with error 404 not found triggers another executions of index.php and with at least 17 404 errors, the index is executed 17+ times on the server, which creates a high load. Error 503 occurs when the server is under a high load and the php processes spawned by the website application are killed by the monitoring tool in order to reduce the load.

We would recommend you to go to the remote server and create a full backup of the folder wp-content/uploads in order to ensure that all images are properly migrated over. Please provide us with a direct link for the archive, or upload it in your account with us from cPanel -> File Manager.

Not sure what to do from here.

• Jayman Pandya

Hi Gina,

I am really sorry for the inconvenience caused. May I request you to please open up the Staff Support Access for http://www.outdoorwomensalliance.com.

Also can you please share the FTP details of both the sites as I want to have a closer look at files on FTP. Hence are requesting you to send the FTP & CPanel credentials to us via our secure contact form on https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/#i-have-a-different-question and use the following template to send the details.

NOTE: Don't change selected topic in the dropdown, just leave it at "I have a different question".

Subject: "Attn: Jayman Pandya"
    - Site login URL
    - WordPress admin username
    - WordPress admin password
    - FTP credentials (host/username/password)
    - cPanel credentials (host/username/password)
    - Folder path to site in question
    - Link back to this thread for reference
    - Any other relevant urls/info

Thank you
    Jayman

• Gina

Hi Jayman,

The support should already be open; I opened it a couple of days ago when I first sent in this ticket.

Unfortunately, I only have FTP access to weareowa.com. The other site (outdoorwomensalliance.com) is run through GIT repository and run on dedicated cloud hosting (Google) so there's no easy way in without access through a private key and using the code repository.

In light of the above, how should I proceed? Thank you.

• Gina

Hi WPMU Team,

We have to get this site loaded this week; our nonprofit already missed on fundraising this past week because of this issue and we have three new events that must be put up or we will lose out on several hundreds of dollars. If we're not able to figure this out, can we somehow cancel the WPMU CDN hosting our files so we have access to those files again and then load them manually into the weareowa.com files so they no longer point to our original (live) site outdoorwomensalliance.com? I would rather do without the CDN right now so we have a complete site.

Again, see my last note on the 10th, too. We're not able to access FTP for outdoorwomensalliance.com, just weareowa.com. Additionally, while access for support has been open since the start of this ticket on weareowa.com, I just realized that maybe you were asking for me to open it on outdoorwomensalliance.com, too (please clarify). I just went to open it back up on outdoorwomensalliance.com, and — though the WPMU DEV plugin used to have a spot in my admin sidebar there as I've used it to open support access recently, it is no longer there. The plugin is active on that site, though, but there was no way to access it. I deactivated it and had to activate it again to get it to show up. The good news is that support access is now granted on both sites; hopefully that is what you were looking for.

• Patrick Freitas

Hi Gina

My apologies for the delay here.

When a thread is replied, it goes down to the queue, and it can cause a delay in the response, I was able to access the support on the http://www.outdoorwomensalliance.com, but the support is not working anymore for the http://www.weareowa.com, wouldn't you mind, please, revoke support on both sited and regrant it to update support access.

Migration usually leaves old tables in the database, can you please, create a Full Backup and run a Search Better and Replace plugin on the new Site,

https://wordpress.org/plugins/better-search-replace/

Check for the Old URL and replace for the New URL, also check for the Old Site Path (/var/www/owa/) and replace for the new Site Path, you can find this information at weareowa > WPMU DEV dashboard > Support > System Info > WordPress

Then clean all caches, and try to activate back the plugins CDN ( Hummingbirds and Smush ) and check if the problem is gone, if the problem persists, can you please send me the FTP for the site that has FTP access (weareowa.com)?

Note: Don't leave your login details in this ticket.

Instead, you can send us your details using our contact form https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/#i-have-a-different-question:

Subject: "Attn: Patrick Freitas"

- Site login URL:

- WordPress admin username:
    - WordPress admin password:

- FTP/SFTP credentials

Host:
    Username:
    Password:
    Port:

- cPanel credentials

Host:
    Username:
    Password:

- Folder path to the site in question:

<strong>- Link back to this thread for reference</strong>

- Any other relevant URLs/info:

Please, reply to the ticket once you have sent the information.
    Best Regards
    Patrick Freitas

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.