CDN solution for multisite

I’m looking to implement a CDN solution for my multisite install to get things moving faster. I’ve read different articles and it seems like there a dozen solutions out there. Is any one simpler than the other. What about the Dropbox solution I’ve been hearing about, is that one any good?

I’ve setup CDN before using W3 total cache, but only for my main site since it doesn’t support multisite, but I don’t see any reason why the subsites shouldn’t get the benefit too.

I’d love to get some input on this from others.

EDIT:

I should add that I’m using Quick Cache as my caching pluging – I’ve read that some CDN plugins require specific caching plugins to be installed.

• wpcdn
    • Syntax Hero

Hi,

It’s actually very easy. If you’re using Quick Cache (which we also use for multisite), you can just use a separate CDN plugin. We offer clients our own, which is essentially a re-branded and slightly modified version of CDN Linker Lite (formerly OSSDL CDN Off-Linker).

The one thing to remember for multisite is that you need to add the files directory to the list of locations in the plugin.

For anyone using WP Super Cache, the built-in CDN support can be used (as it is based on CDN Linker Lite as well). You need to add the files directory there as well. With W3 Total Cache (although not fully compatible with multisite, apparently), you can also use the integrated CDN support with virtually any CDN provider.

I’d be glad to provide more information, either here or by e-mail (mark.bailey@wpcdn.com).

Mark

• wpcdn
    • Syntax Hero

I don’t think CloudFlare is actually a CDN service in the traditional sense. I believe that CloudFlare redirects your web traffic through their servers for various reasons, but I don’t believe they actually host your images for you. (Correct me if I’m wrong.)

• Saunt Valerian
    • The Bug Hunter

I’ve used cloudflare before and unfortunately I’m using a .de TLD, which is a little trickier to setup with cloudflare. Redirecting the nameservers the way that cloudflare requires isn’t so simple with a German TLD. Last time I checked about 3 months ago, cloudflare’s servers didn’t meet the requirements for those picky Germans. I might take another look at them to see if there is something they can do now.

Anyhow, WPCDN, I installed the recommended plugin, but not sure how to set it up. I’ve used CDN before with W3 Total Cache (but it doesn’t help multisite), which handles the uploading for you (BTW I am using Rackspace CloudFiles for my CDN). CDN Linker doesn’t do that, it talks about origin pull, but I’m not seeing how that works and there is no input for the Rackspace API Key, which is required for remote creation.

Do I need to create the files on Rackspace myself? Do you have any experience with Rackspace? They use something called containers and don’t seem to maintain the directory structures on my server, so even more confused now. Their tech support guy was no help since CDN Linker Lite isn’t supported by them.

• Saunt Valerian
    • The Bug Hunter

I’m seeing that rackspace isn’t compatible with this plugin and I don’t want to go back to using W3 total cache (too much overhead on the backend, not multisite friendly).

I guess have to change to a CDN provider that supports Origin Pull? MaxCDN does, does anyone else have recommendations?

• wecreateyou
    • The Crimson Coder

Hi @riyaku,

I assume you’ve had a good experience with CloudFlare. Media Temple just started providing this feature baked in and I’m wondering about caveats to this versus traditional CDN usage. Can they work together for even more performance increase?

• Saunt Valerian
    • The Bug Hunter

Cloudflare is at least worth trying out, it can’t hurt to try. Setting it up is as easy as changing your nameservers. They do everything else for you and setting it up takes about 60 seconds.

As an experiment today, I set it up for a mapped domain blog on my network. It started accelerating within a few minutes. It was a drastic increase.

• wpcdn
    • Syntax Hero

I assume you’ve had a good experience with CloudFlare. Media Temple just started providing this feature baked in and I’m wondering about caveats to this versus traditional CDN usage. Can they work together for even more performance increase?

We have testing planned to answer this very question. It might be a (little) while, but I’ll summarize the results when we’re done.

Mark

• wpcdn
    • Syntax Hero

those picky Germans

LOL, I had some great times in Germany…some great people.

Not to say that they’re power drinkers, but I was out with three of them once when the waitress gave last call. So my colleague ordered four more beers. The server brought a beer for each of us, and he said, “No…I meant four more for him, four more for him, four more for her, and four more for me!”

But I digress…

• Han
    • The Crimson Coder

Hi @wecreateyou,

Yes they can work together. If you want to use both CloudFlare and your current CDN, in your CloudFlare DNS Settings page, make sure that the CNAME for the CDN subdomain is listed and that the cloud is orange. This means that the traffic passes through CloudFlare first, before hitting your other CDN. As a result, your bill for your other CDN provider should decrease.

CloudFlare works as a reverse proxy. It means that once your website is part of the CloudFlare community, your web traffic is routed through CloudFlare’s global network.

CloudFlare’s network stores copy of your static files closer to your visitors, which means they are delivered more quickly than before. CloudFlare cache resources such as CSS, JavaScript and images. You do not have to make any changes on your end, CloudFlare’s technology automatically decides which resources to cache based on file extension names.

• leksa
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

I’ve got discussed with Matthew, sorry if i bump this thread again. Because i’m concerning about the wildcard limitation.

Here’s the twits from him about the Wildcard limitation.

@eastdakota: @leksa we support wildcard subdomains in DNS, you just can't proxy them through our network.

@eastdakota: @leksa you can use us for DNS for wildcards. And you can explicitly add subdomains you want to route through our proxy.

@eastdakota: @leksa so it will work, you just don't get all the benefits for subdomains that aren't explicitly defined.

I dont ask too much about technical stuffs with him. But good guy if somebeody here wanna ask more about the techy stuff on this limitation.

Somebody from wordpress have developed the plugin for wildcard problem. But, in my concern, its not healthy to record more than 40K A/CNAME to the Cloudflare DNS proxy.

Right now we have the problem in bots and spams, more (it’s huge more) than before. After moving to top tier in Amazon service. Long running major local blogging service in my country, and it’s mean like a fresh dish for the junks. To much CPU utilization and process in background (server0 if we just use firewall in the apps level. We need more than it. Cloudflare is the white solution from the board.

I’m just think 2 options right now. Waiting the Cloudflare to research more about their wildcard limitation (they mention about need more research in Wiki) . Or, develope our own logic system than use API to push on Cloudflare DNS record. Own logics mean, not all subdomain to push on. But concern on high traffic/process subdomain, or hits, or popularity.

Any idea about thats kind of solutions? And If anyone think it was interesting, so maybe we can try to elaborate this as an practical solutions.

• giorgos
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

@mark , what you mean by :

The one thing to remember for multisite is that you need to add the files directory to the list of locations in the plugin.

The files directory is under wp-content and wp-includes and that is included by default. I probably mis something here.

I ‘ m using CDN linker, cloudfront origin pull CDN , multisite (subdirectories) and works fine, but it will not work with multisite ( i additionally included also wp-content/blogs.dir).

Also really important feature that I mis is that it doesn’t rewrite the buddypress urls.

Any plan to have this plugin multisite and buddypress compatible?

Can you help on that?

Thanks in advance

Giorgos

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.