CDN Tools

Hello,

I have just found this CDN Tools plugin that connects to Cloud Files by Rackspace. Would it be wise to offer this as a premium plugin to my users, so they have the option of having unlimited storage as long as they keep up their account with Rackspace? Here is the plugin link:

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/cdn-tools/

• James Farmer
    • CEO (of WPMU DEV, honest)

Yeh, for sure... although I find that storage over, say, 5GB isn't such a great sales tool for Supporter :slight_smile:

The key... like we do with Edublogs.. is to make free storage really really small!

Or, like wp.com do, stop people from uploading any decent file types despite offering them huge storage (double sneaky... at least with edublogs you can upload anything you want even if you are a free user!)

• drmike
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

I would not offer it to your endusers directly. Using it yourself for the install and giving your clients that space would be fine. I think it would just lead to confusion if you say "Here's the plugin, use it if you want." wp.com uses (or used to use, they pretty much moved back to internal storage I believe with Amazon s3 as backup) such a service and the fact they they do so is hidden from the endusers.

• webgroup
    • Flash Drive

@drmike:
    That's what I originally wanted to do , but the CDN Tools plugin does not allow you to "offer storage" like that. But, if you offer the plugin as a premium plugin, then users still get a chance of unlimited storage through a third party service.

@James:
    I'd like to know how Edublogs handles the unlimited storage for your Edublogs Campus platform. But I know that's wishful thinking. :slight_smile:

• James Farmer
    • CEO (of WPMU DEV, honest)

@webgroup - the secret to our unlimited storage is the condition that it's for 'educational purposes' - so almost invariably that means that we're protected against the kind of viral video / exploitation of that kind of service that might otherwise occur - having said that though we've never had to enforce it.

Campus storage is regular RAID5 server stuff - Edublogs.org uses Amazon S2.

• deeroy
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

ermmm i don't understand...it says the cdn tool supported is cloudfiles( by Rackspace)..and cloudfiles are using Akamai as CDN...im thinking of using this right out, free or premium users..(probabaly just limit the space via the supporter)..Let me know how u implement this and what changes u made to auto store the files to rackspace.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.