CDN Usage Report bandwidth limit exceeded.

Got an email on Friday stating I've exceeded my CDN bandwidth limit. One of my sites images stopped working because of this. I'm not sure how it's generating so much bandwidth and would like more details regarding it and how to fix it and prevent it going forward.

• Nithin
    • Support Wizard

Hi Sean,

Bandwidth is the total number of kb that's sent when a user visits your website, it would include page hits, page views, visits in general.

So, if there is an image of 300kb in the homepage, and the homepage has 20000 views, for example, that would take about 6GB of bandwidth, as the images would be viewed 20000 times by different users or page view etc.

The Bandwith size is entirely correlated to the number of visits you have in your websites, and how many times the images are called or viewed.

At the moment I'm afraid the bandwidth size listed in the My Account page is for the whole websites synced to the Hub, and there isn't any individual statistics at the moment. If the CDN bandwidth exceeds the allowed limit the plugin would gracefully switch from CDN to server-side over 24 hours.

I'm checking with the developer to see whether they could provide further details regarding the websites taking up more bandwidth which might be useful for you.

Will keep you posted once I get further feedback. Have a nice day ahead.

Best Regards,
    Nithin

• Sean
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hello,

I appreciate this guidance. So I've been putting all my sites on the CDN, and I can tell you that they did not switch, gracefully or otherwise.

Secondly, it appears that it is just one of my clients that caused the CDN to go over it's limit, and that has penalized the rest of my clients. This is definitely not ideal. There should be a way to separate a client, or to have it so CDNs can be subdivided.

Either way, there should have been some kind of warning and grace period to allow me to find a solution. Instead, one of my clients had a large traffic increase and has caused some serious embarrassment for the rest of my clients. At the moment, I have 15 sites on your servers. I'm planning on adding more, but I have to know that your company has my back.

Right now I'm dealing with a bunch of angry clients because the CDN got shut off with no warning. I received an email at 9pm on a Friday with no indication that there was anything serious to worry about. Thinking I could just upgrade the system on Monday, I didn't do anything right at that moment. Monday morning, I had clients checking in to tell me that images were not showing up on their site. One client insists that he still cannot see all the images on his site.

I'm angry that your system handled it this way.

Looking forward to seeing how you are going to make this right

• Nithin
    • Support Wizard

Hi Sean,

I do understand your frustration, and sorry to hear that this has to affect other websites. At the moment the Smush CDN Bandwith assigned is for the whole WPMU DEV Account. I'm afraid, there isn't any way to allocate bandwidth per each site, nor specifically, increase per website.

In general, the plugin should be able to detect and display the bandwidth exceeded message in the Smush Pro > CDN page, and would only get deactivated, and switch to local URL after 24 hours.

Not exactly sure what could have caused the images to load up blank in your client website, without checking the website live, but since your client had issues with the images not displaying for their website, it sounds more like there was cache enabled in the website side which might have caused the reverted server images URL to not show up when your client accessed the website during the morning.

In general, the plugin has been modified to detect and purge cache automatically so such anomalies don't occur. I could notice your current mentioned website has Autoptimize cache, and also Hummingbird. Could we know is that how other client websites were configured?

Is it possible to enable support access to other client websites where the images weren't loading? So that we could check the dashboard settings to have a better idea regarding the possibilities of what might have caused this too?

We do highly consider this as a concern and should have been worked out of the box. I'm bringing this anomaly, and your feedbacks into our team's attention and check what further improvements could be done too.

You can grant access from WPMU DEV > Support > Support Access > Grant Access, or check this manual: https://premium.wpmudev.org/docs/getting-started/getting-support/#chapter-5

Please let us know once you enable access so that we could check further.

Kind Regards,
    Nithin

• Sean
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

LyteTechnology.com also had the same issue. This is the site that caused me to go over in my CDN in the first place. You will notice that Autoptimize is not installed on there, so that's not it. I've provided support access. The CDN got shut off at 9pm on Friday, and the client told me about image issues he was seeing at 4pm on the following Monday. That's well outside the 24 hour switch.

As your customer, what I would expect is a warning email. It should be sent if we are approaching the limit for the CDN with options and a 24-hour grace period. Option A, upgrade to a sufficient level for the CDN. Option B, go to each site and turn off the Smush Pro CDN option.

That seems like a reasonable communication and solution. What your system did to my sites was brutal, sudden, without warning, and embarrassing. I am still dealing with the fallout from Larsen Marine who is now on a witch hunt for other issues on the site.

I ask again, how are you going to make this right?

• Nithin
    • Support Wizard

Hi Sean,

Sorry to hear you had to go through. I checked the Lytetechnology website and could notice the current Smush version is 3.0.2, and the latest version is 3.2.4. I could notice the same with almost all other websites with plugin versions 2.9.1

I'm afraid, the mentioned workflow of auto-purge cache are features which are part of version 3.1 and greater, so any websites which have Smush version lesser than v3.1 would be facing issues if the CDN gets disabled, as the cache from plugins, or server-side would serve the cached CDN links if the cache isn't cleared manually.

Keeping the plugins update to date would be the initial steps to ensure that anomalies noticed would be less in such cases.

I do see Larsenmarine website had a version higher than 3.1, and the anomaly noticed would be more related to the Autoptimize cache which might not have cleared.

I have already brought these anomalies to our team, and they are looking into aspects of what all could be improved to ensure things are right, like sending a clear cache request from the Hub to cache API and also improve the existing crons jobs regarding this. I do see a warning email as you have stated would be much better UI, and have brought into the team's attention so these could be improved down the plugin release.

I checked your account, and I could notice the CDN bandwidth is showing 430GB out of 100GB. Could I know did you disable CDN for all the sites? or whether CDN is still enabled in any specific website?

In general, the values should have reset within a day. I'm checking with the developer about what could be done to get the CDN working in the current scenario, and will get back to you asap.

Kind Regards,
    Nithin

• Nithin
    • Support Wizard

Hi Sean,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. It seems like you have upgraded the bandwidth plan to 500 GB, and could notice the CDN bandwidth are within its limits at the moment.

I stand corrected about how the reset works once CDN exceeds the limit. The CDN usage is calculated per last 30 days, and won't reset within a day. As soon as the Hub detects the last 30 days bandwidth is under the CDN Bandwith limit, the CDN could be used again under the current plan.

With that being said the concerns and issues noticed regarding this has been brought into our team's attention, and we'll be looking into improving the workflow regarding alerts, and workflow regarding CDN on such use case too.

Best Regards,
    Nithin

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.