Cforms II default settings across 3000 blogs...

cformsII plugin doesn't work as a dropin to the mu-plugins folder. What you can do, and I did, is put it in the regular plugins folder and activate is across all blogs using the sweet ass wpmudev "plugin commander."

However, after doing that, each cformsII plugin is unique and doesn't retain any settings of the original main root domain blog, which makes sense (each blog user would want to set the mail settings and so his or herself). However, that's not what I want. I want the same plugin settings and standard form on all 3000 blogs.

Below is my corrospondance with the programmer of the cformsII plugin, delicious.days. What I am looking for is either:

1. A method goofing with mysql manually to do what he suggests, which I could be capable of (I have 3rd grade sql query skillz)
2. An alternate form plugin that will do what I want
3. Some other workround, like using "run-php" on all blogs and just having a form submit or something (although not sure how this would work.)

PLEASE HELP!

Not 100% with you here, but I just joined the WPMUDEV.org premium so I’ll try to bang it out there.

My plan was to set blog #1 CformsII options as I like. Then dig into sql manually and grab the appropriate cforms stuff from the wp_1_options tables, then insert that into the other 3000 blogs….. will that work?

-Dave

From: deliciousdays [mailto:oliver.seidel@deliciousdays.com]
Sent: Monday, April 07, 2008 8:35 AM
To: Dave at SolarPowerRocks.com
Subject: Re: David Llorens is contacting you re: Cforms - WPMU

It's worth a try, just keep in mind that any and all settings are saved in $wp->options via (add_/update_option and retrieved by get_option).
Across all your user's blogs I would think that $wp-> will automatically adjust to the users table environment.

You could for instance create a "master default configuration" search through the wp_options table, selecting all cforms_* entries & save them.

Then, as part of a user activating the cforms plugin process, insert these 'quickly' so that cforms thinks they've been there all the time - makes sense?

This would help to make sure that all users start with the same settings and are good to go.

Best,
Oliver
PS: If you enjoy cforms, please consider rating it on wordpress.org Thanks!

Dave at SolarPowerRocks.com wrote:
I just mean a dealbreaker for what I’m trying to accomplish. I know you don’t charge, and it’s awesome. You are awesome. Your plugin is awesome.

Can you think of a hack? Could I just replace the settings in WP_options across all blogs?

From: deliciousdays [mailto:oliver.seidel@deliciousdays.com]
Sent: Monday, April 07, 2008 12:25 AM
To: dave@solarpowerrocks.com
Subject: Re: David Llorens is contacting you re: Cforms - WPMU

Hi!

The problem is it doesn't have any global settings, so each instance of the plugin has to have it's own forms created and settings set, which is a dealbreaker. Anyway to get around this? I can't seem to find where the settings are stored, it doesn't seem to be in the wordpress sql db.
No, because cforms hasn't been coded for WPMU in the sense that it supports one set of global options across all blogs, which also doesn't make much sense, since WPMU users should be able to fully customize the plugin to their individual needs (Captcha, DatePicker, etc. options).

which is a dealbreaker..
What deal? I'm not charging for the plugin

I can't seem to find where the settings are stored, it doesn't seem to be in the wordpress sql db.
They're all stored in wp_options.

Best and good luck!
Oliver
PS: If you enjoy cforms, please consider rating it on wordpress.org Thanks!

delicious:days wrote:
A contact form has been submitted on April 7, 2008 from David Llorens [IP 67.164.56.47]
http://www.solarpowerrocks.com
David Llorens (dave@solarpowerrocks.com) said:
Cforms - WPMU:
Wait, please, don't autodelete the new "oh god not another STFW plugin question"

I've been all over the web and a developer on http://wpmudev.org/'s IRC channel said I should just ask you. Here's my problem:

cformsII doesn't seem to work as a MU-plugin simply by dropping it in the mu-plugin folder. But it does work as a regular plugin using the 'plugin commander' from http://wpmudev.org/ to auto-activate it across all your blogs.

The problem is it doesn't have any global settings, so each instance of the plugin has to have it's own forms created and settings set, which is a dealbreaker. Anyway to get around this? I can't seem to find where the settings are stored, it doesn't seem to be in the wordpress sql db.

hellllllp. pleaaaaaaaaaaase.

The form I think I could add as a form preset, but the global settings... I'm lost.

PS your site is freaking gorgeous.

• ZappoMan

Dave,

I'm not familiar with this plugin, so take my comments with a grain of salt.

In my experience, many wordpress plugins are not all that appropriate for a wordpresmu install. I say this because if someone is using your wordpressmu install, they're probably not blogging experts, since they want you to host their blog... and so many options of most plugins would bewilder and confuse them. Hell, I have users who are confused by the basic wordpress interface.

So, when I look at a plugin like this, I ask myself... What options can I remove for the user, and which ones does the user need to control?

If all of the options are reasonable to remove then I usually change the plugin to show these options only to site admin and I change the code to call update_site_option()/get_site_option() instead of update_option/get_option. This way as an admin, I still have control over the options, and most users never ever need to worry about it. This way I can run the plugin in mu-plugins (assuming it's not a performance pig) and my users just get the functionality for free.

If however some of the options do need to be set by the user, and some don't, then the job is a little more involved, but I still do my best to make it simple for the user.

Good luck, although I know I didn't answer your specific question, I hope this perspective helps.