chained payments and checkout process

Hi
I'm hoping you can provide some clarification on a question which I thought I had an answer to, but now after reading more forum posts, I'm not so sure. In any event, like many others in the forums I am creating an Etsy-like network. Taking a % of each sale is critical, therefore, I have not enabled the global shopping cart, so that I can use PayPal chained payments. So far, so good.

Each store in the network will essentially look the same - what will differ is the store owner's name and products (ala etsy). The main site in my network will be where visitors can browse products from various stores. Therefore, a visitor can add Product X from Store 1, and Product Y from Store 2 to their shopping cart. I need to set it up so that those 2 products from 2 different stores physically appear in a 'cart' (really just an indication that those 2 products are being held for checkout) somewhere on the site, say in the sidebar. I want this cart to appear in that same spot regardless of whether that shopper is on the home page of the main site, or on the homepage of any of the network stores. Is this possible through a short code? Or custom code?

Assuming the above is possible, clicking on that 'cart' will take them to a checkout page which lists all their products. From there they would have to checkout and pay individually for each product. Is this possible?

Maybe its semantics, or me being thick, but I keep reading that 'global shopping cart' is not possible with chained payments...but in that sense, 'global shopping cart' simply refers to the ability to checkout and pay only 1x for multiple products (with paypal then dispersing payments to individual store owners).

Thanks in advance for the help/sanity check!
Andy

• Timothy Bowers

Hey Andy.

Maybe its semantics, or me being thick, but I keep reading that 'global shopping cart' is not possible with chained payments...but in that sense, 'global shopping cart' simply refers to the ability to checkout and pay only 1x for multiple products (with paypal then dispersing payments to individual store owners).

Ya its only available in global cart. Its not possible otherwise because of how the payment gateways work. They would currently need to checkout at each site individually.

The possibility of having multiple Paypal buttons whilst checking out and have a shared cart through the site sounds rather interesting. Aaron the developer of this plugin is real busy this week but I will mention it to him.

I'll move this over to the feature request forums as well.

Take care.

• zeroplusone

Thanks Timothy, I appreciate it.

Even if there isn't a way yet to have a shared cart throughout the sites, can I aggregate multiple cart items (from different stores) onto a single page prior to checkout? I Understand that the items would ultimately be checked out individually, but it seems reasonable to think that there would be a way to display those items on a single page - even if that is adding another step to the checkout process. Maybe I'm wrong but I just wanted to clarify.

Basically I'm trying to create a sense of cohesiveness throughout the sites. If a visitor has an item in a cart from one store, goes to another store and adds a product, how do they then go back and find the first item they wanted to buy? Thats really what I'm trying to solve, so any suggestions would be more than welcome!
    Thanks

• Timothy Bowers

Hey again.

Even if there isn't a way yet to have a shared cart throughout the sites, can I aggregate multiple cart items (from different stores) onto a single page prior to checkout? I Understand that the items would ultimately be checked out individually, but it seems reasonable to think that there would be a way to display those items on a single page - even if that is adding another step to the checkout process. Maybe I'm wrong but I just wanted to clarify.

I'm afraid not unfortunately. There is not a shortcode or for a global cart when using chained payments.

I have pinged the developer of MarketPress for feedback on your idea:

The possibility of having multiple Paypal buttons whilst checking out and have a shared cart through the site sounds rather interesting.

Thanks again and real sorry we can't provide the feature you desire just yet.

Take care.

• Aaron

The possibility of having multiple Paypal buttons whilst checking out and have a shared cart through the site sounds rather interesting. Aaron the developer of this plugin is real busy this week but I will mention it to him.

Currently the global cart setting is tied to both the gateway and what shows in the carts. It definitely technically possible to add the ability to show all items in widgets and carts divided by store, which still forcing payment on a store by store basis. We've got it flagged as a feature request for the future.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.