chained payments and checkout process

Hi

I’m hoping you can provide some clarification on a question which I thought I had an answer to, but now after reading more forum posts, I’m not so sure. In any event, like many others in the forums I am creating an Etsy-like network. Taking a % of each sale is critical, therefore, I have not enabled the global shopping cart, so that I can use PayPal chained payments. So far, so good.

Each store in the network will essentially look the same – what will differ is the store owner’s name and products (ala etsy). The main site in my network will be where visitors can browse products from various stores. Therefore, a visitor can add Product X from Store 1, and Product Y from Store 2 to their shopping cart. I need to set it up so that those 2 products from 2 different stores physically appear in a ‘cart’ (really just an indication that those 2 products are being held for checkout) somewhere on the site, say in the sidebar. I want this cart to appear in that same spot regardless of whether that shopper is on the home page of the main site, or on the homepage of any of the network stores. Is this possible through a short code? Or custom code?

Assuming the above is possible, clicking on that ‘cart’ will take them to a checkout page which lists all their products. From there they would have to checkout and pay individually for each product. Is this possible?

Maybe its semantics, or me being thick, but I keep reading that ‘global shopping cart’ is not possible with chained payments…but in that sense, ‘global shopping cart’ simply refers to the ability to checkout and pay only 1x for multiple products (with paypal then dispersing payments to individual store owners).

Thanks in advance for the help/sanity check!

Andy