Change dedicated IP on multisite network

Hello.

While my customer base has been growing, my site is now starting to load very slow (including all other sites on my network), especially in the backend. I've been talking to my hosting partners and my PHP memory are fully used, so the solution looks like i need a better server, with more memory.. If i change the server i will be given a new dedicated IP - how will that affect my network? I have a couple of customers with DNS domain redirection, so i have to change it there of course, but will it affect it in other ways?

Best Regards,
Rasmus

• Predrag Dubajic

Hey Rasmus,

Hope you're doing well today :slight_smile:

Uh, I must say I'm not much familiar with this, I'm not sure what happens with dedicated IP when switching hosting, and there is no valuable info I could find online about this, which is really strange :slight_frown:

I'll need to consult our devs or sysadmins about this one and get back to you as soon as I get hold on one of them :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Rasmus!

I'm not a sysadmin but hopefully I can share a useful advice here :slight_smile:

An IP address is mostly important here because of DNS system and that means the domain names. The thing that you'd definitely need to take care of will be DNS settings for all the domains that you're using on your network.

WordPress itself doesn't care about an IP address as long as it's (WordPress's) settings are "internally consistent". From what I understand you're not going to change your site's URLs/domains so this shouldn't worry you :slight_smile:

If you're using a Domain Mapping plugin, it should also work fine after the change, though you may simply need to re-save it's general setting (as a new IP will be picked up).

The only concern here would be a plugin (or a plugins) or a custom script that's somehow using an IP address, e.g. for an API authorization reason but I highly doubt you're using any such plugin. I personally didn't even came over anything like that before.

Still, some plugins may actually require you to "re-authorize" but this should be just matter of a few click. I mean plugins such as Facebook or Google APIs related tools. Again, if it will be required at all it will not require any complex procedures but rather actions like "click here to reset token" or similar :slight_smile:

The bottom line is: apart from DNS settings/update that would be required you should be good to go. All the rest that I mentioned is slightly possible but highly unlikely.

While we wait for a response. Do you have any good advice on how to decrease the use of php memory usage on a multisite network?

I'd suggest starting with disabling and removing all unnecessary plugins and themes. That's the first step. Second one would be to install P3 (Plugin Performance Profiler) and use it to find out about most "memory consuming" plugins.

Some of those plugins can be replaced with simpler once and some can be replaced by custom PHP code added to theme's "functions.php" file and/or as MU plugins.

In case of some other of these plugins it may be possible to optimize their settings and/or get in touch with their developers and ask them if these could be optimized in anyway. There'll always be also plugins that simply must stay there "as they are" even though they consume memory but anyway you should be able to "free up" some memory this way anyway.

This also applies to themes used. Some of themes may be very complex and it's sometimes better to replace them with similar looking simpler ones (e.g. those that are not built upon any "framework") or by custom developed themes.

Then it's important to optimize such aspects of the site as images, stylesheets and JS scripts and our Hummingbird plugin can help you with this:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/wp-hummingbird/

together with our WP Smush Pro plugin:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/wp-smush-pro/

Finally, I'd suggest setting up a caching plugin such as WP SuperCache or WP Total Cache as an efficient cache significantly decreases server load and as a result should also decrease memory consumption.

On top of it all it may be also worth to setup CDN (e.g. CloudFront or similar) as it's also decreasing server load.

I hope that helps!
    Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.