Change default metabox ordering in custom plugin or theme?

Is it possible to define the default ordering of metaboxes in WordPress?

A client I have would like the WP core Categories metabox to appear immediately underneath the content editor. Don’t want to bore you with the reasons, but they seem sound reasons to me.

So can this be done? Can I write a plugin or theme that determines the default ordering of metaboxes for new users?

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hello @mina

Welcome to WPMU community!

I hope you are well today and thanks for asking the question.

WP Core categories meta box sits in right sidebar by default, do you want to move that under the editor?

There is no easy way to reorder the meta box though. The meta boxes are organized in two ways:

1. It maintain the order they are registered to. That means, when you add meta boxes using add_meta_boxes it follows the same order.

2. Once it is registered, then an user can drag and drop and reorder the meta boxes. Once the user reorders, then the meta boxes will be appeared in the same order for that users.

But, if you really want to code it again, then you can get an idea from this stack thread: http://wordpress.stackexchange.com/questions/1390/set-default-admin-screen-options-metabox-order

Hope it helps :slight_smile: Please feel free to ask more question if you have any.

Cheers

Ash

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.