Change Default "Show All" on Category Dropdown

I would like to change the default selection on the Category dropdown to another category on the Products page.

Where can I go to find the code (which module to evaluate)?

Thanks,

Merv (lzw8bk)

• lzw8bk
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Thanks Joe,

Hard to get my head wrapped sometimes too …

I probably was not specific enough. Here’s what I have and what I want:

The Products page has a drop down that lists all the product categories (I have it enabled). The default “select” is set to “Show All.”

I have the following product categories:

Featured

Music

DVD’s

Caps

T-Shirts

What I would like to have happen is the drop down to default to the “Featured” category. I still want “Show All” in the list, just a different initial default select.

I found the code in template-functions.php => mp_products_filter. I changed

‘show_option_none’ => __(‘Show All’, ‘mp’:wink:,

to

‘show_option_none’ => __(‘Featured, ‘mp’:wink:,

and got the results I wanted but “Show All” is no longer in the dropdown list.

If I had the pure html it would be easy to denote “selected” on the item I want to be default. In this dynamic code generation environment, a bit harder to do.

I guess I could add an “All” Category and apply every product to it among others but tedious for hundreds of products to edit in the production environment.

Hope this helps.

Merv (lzw8bk)

• lzw8bk
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Here’s a followup:

Looking closer in template-functions.php => function mp_products_filter() line 1957 …

There is a “selected’ key in the $terms = wp_dropdown_categories(array) and set it to the category ID I want to default to and it works exactly the way I want.

You can mark this question resolved. Thanks.

Regards,

Merv (lzw8bk)

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.