Change from two paid subscriptions to one paid and one free subscriptions

Hello. My question is about changing one of my two paid subscriptions to a free subscription.

Here are some details of my website:
- I have two main audiences: players and coaches.
- I have two paid subscriptions...one for players and one for coaches.
- I am using the PayPal Payments Standard Gateway for both of the paid subscriptions.
- Each paid subscription grants access to each audience to different, special sections of the website that only paid members for that specific audience can access.

I no longer want to charge players for their membership and want to make the membership free (but I still want to keep the membership for coaches be a paid subscription.)

My first thought was to activate a second Payment Gateway...the Free Subscriptions Gateway, but I read in your manual for the Membership plugin that I should NOT activate the Free Subscriptions Gateway if I am using another Payment Gateway for paid subscriptions. Can you confirm that is still accurate?

So assuming I cannot activate the Free Subscriptions gateway in addition to the PayPal Payments Standard Gateway, I am trying to figure out the best way to change ONE of the paid subscriptions to be free of charge (for the players), while leaving the other subscription (for the coaches) paid.

The settings for the paid subscription for the players are as follows:
- Mode: Serial
- Period: 1 Year
- Price $29.00

Would I change these settings to the following to make the membership free?
- Mode: Indefinite
- Period: (does it matter what I choose if the Mode is Indefinite?)
- Price: 0.00

Is this the first thing I need do to? If so, is there anything else I must do? If not, do I do something else with this subscription plan?

In addition, if I change the price to $0.00 for a subscription, what happens after a user registers for an account? Currently with the paid subscription, once a user registers for an account, the next page they see is the sign up page for the paid subscription in which they MUST click a yellow "Subscribe" button that takes the user to PayPal to make the payment.

If the subscription is free, does the user ever get to the page with the yellow "Subscribe" button, or does the user get immediate access to the premium pages the subscription allows access to right after the user registers for an account?

Do you have any other advice on how to change a paid subscription into a free subscription (while keeping the second paid subscription still being paid?)

Thank you for your help.

• Tyler Postle

Hey Nick,

Thanks for your question and all of the detail :slight_smile:

You should be able to activate the Free Subscription alongside another gateway without issues, I will have to take a look through the docs and let the writers know on that one.

If you were to change the price to $0 for without the free gatewat activated then they will still be able to sign up but it will show them a paypal page still with $0. Whereas free subscription gateway should just sign them right up after.

If you just change the price to $0 then it should work. It won't affect the other subscription at all either :slight_smile:

Let us know if you need any further assistance here!

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Nick

Hi Tyler,

Thank you for your quick and informative response. I am almost ready to call this resolved. If you wouldn't mind taking a look at a few follow up questions, I would be extremely appreciative. I granted you access to the site in case you need it.

#1) FYI
    The line about not using the Free Subscriptions Gateway with a premium subscription is from the Membership 3.4.5 Documentation, on page 35 Of 72. Hope that helps.

#2) FYI
    I followed your suggestion above. I activated the Free Subscriptions Gateway, then changed the price of the Subscription plan for players to be 0.00. Then I tried signing up for the player subscription and after I registered an account on the site, I got right into the special part of the website. I did not get the screen asking me to go to PayPal. So it looks like it worked. Thank you!

#3) Question
    In the All Members section of the Membership plugin, when I look for the test user I created for the site (the one with the first and last name of "Test Test"), I see the column for "Gateway" has the value of "Admin" for that user I just created using the Free Subscriptions Gateway. Do you know why that user has "Admin" listed as the Gateway even though that user signed up via the Free Subscriptions Gateway?

Under the word Admin I can click the link for Move, and when I see the options, I see three options: admin, freesubscriptions, and paypalexpress. So the Free Subscriptions option is definitely there, but I cannot be manually moving users from Admin to Free Subscriptions...I thought it would happen automatically?

#4) Question
    On the subscriptions page for the user I signed up on the Free Subscriptions Gateway, under the name of the subscription plan, I see this text "You are on an indefinite membership." I assume this is good.

On the subscriptions page for users who signed up for the membership on the formerly paid subscription, there is no text under the name of the subscription. It used to say the membership was set up for automatic renewal. But now that I assigned that plan to the Free Subscriptions Gateway, there is no text under the name of the subscription. Is that normal? Is that bad? Will the user be charged his annual membership fee since he paid for the subscription before I changed it to free?

Thank you again for your fast responses and excellent explanations in your response!

• Tyler Postle

Hey Nick,

Thanks for your patience on this one!

Do you know why that user has "Admin" listed as the Gateway even though that user signed up via the Free Subscriptions Gateway?

I just tested this on my own install and got the same behaviour. I will notify the dev about this :slight_smile: thanks! Having it set at admin in the meantime shouldn't make any difference to the user.

On the subscriptions page for the user I signed up on the Free Subscriptions Gateway, under the name of the subscription plan, I see this text "You are on an indefinite membership." I assume this is good.

If the membership is indefinite then yes, that's good :slight_smile:

But now that I assigned that plan to the Free Subscriptions Gateway, there is no text under the name of the subscription. Is that normal? Is that bad? Will the user be charged his annual membership fee since he paid for the subscription before I changed it to free?

You assigned a formerly paid plan to a free subscription gateway? If the plan was recurring payments, then they will likely have to cancel that recurring payment inside PayPal. If it wasn't recurring, then all should be fine :slight_smile:

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions here Nick.

All the best,
    Tyler

• Nick

Thank you for your reply Tyler!

Thanks for trying to replicate the issue of "Admin" listed as the Gateway even though that user signed up via the Free Subscriptions Gateway. I just wanted to make sure I didn't do something to cause that behavior!

To answer your question on my last point, yes a formerly paid plan was changed to free. We already contacted the handful of people who purchased the paid plan to go into PayPal to cancel their reoccurring payment.

Do you know if after those users cancel their reoccurring payment in PayPal will they see the text "You are on an indefinite membership." on their Subscription page? Or would they never see that text because they originally signed up using a paid gateway, not the free gateway (even though the paid gateway was changed to a free gateway?) I'm just trying to see if eventually all the members will have the consistent text, "You are on an indefinite membership", on their subscription pages. Other than an answer to this question, I am good to go :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Thanks again!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.