Change post layout in upfront themes

First of all, congrats to this awesome theme. It took a while to get my head around how things work, but now - an hour into it - I find it really great.
One thing I could not figure out is how to alter the layout of a standard post.
For example:
- how do I style image captions
- all posts show the post category below the post and there seems to be no way to delete this or to re-style how that is displayed.
- how do I create or add sidebars, unless sidebars really do not exist anymore in Upfont (which I think is the case).

Thanks for your help!
Boris

Patrick

Hi there @bopf

Welcome to WPMU DEV, glad to have you aboard!

Editing element CSS can be a tricky to figure out at first, but once you've done it once, it's easy to get going on customizing the heck outta stuff.

See the 1st screenshot below for how to edit caption styles.

Similarly, you can remove built-in bits that you don't want by setting the display property to display:none; in the CSS box. So for the category stuff in posts, click the gear icon and then, scroll down in the CSS editor until you find the selectors you need and set that to display:none; (2nd screenshot).

To add a sidebar for widgets, you first need to add a new region. Click the pencil icon at the top-right of the page to edit the background.

Then click the "+" icon where you want to add the new region (3rd screenshot). Then click Finish editing background at the bottom of the screen. You'll then have a nice new sidebar where you can add your widgets (4th screenshot)

bopf

Awesome instructions! Thank you.

One thing I found out, more or less by accident:
    If you go to "Responsive Mode" you get access to the layouts used by the theme.
    If I make all the changes you suggest above to the layouts, they get applied to all relevant posts, category pages, etc.
    I think you should consider making the editing of layouts a bit more prominent and maybe a bit easier.
    But that is just a minor point.
    Excellent style naming in your CSS makes editing a breeze by the way. Good job!