Change register URL to prevent spam signups

Hi All. I learned from an expert saying that spammers just google "register; create an account". Obviously, all websites powered by wordpress & buddypress are coming in the front pages in Google. So, to prevent the spammers and splogs from signing up, we have to take measures to change the default register URL. Could somebody please guide me technically?

I explored Anti-Splog plugin. Unfortunately, my specific feature is not available that is compatible with buddypress!

Thanks in advance,
Siva.

• psivait
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Hi Phil,

I think the link you gave talks about login and not registration. Also, my purpose is to prevent spammers from guessing the default registration link of every wordpress/buddypress. The link you gave is to change the login url from /wp-login.php to just /login. It has been done using a plugin as the article stated. Please clarify once again.

Thanks and Regards,
    Siva.

• psivait

Hi Phil,

Yes, I went through the article. The main aim of that is to redirect the /login to /wp-login. Users will actually be able to see only the easily readable URLs such as /login which will be redirected to the original /wp-login page. It is simply a mere redirection!

In my case, I wish to change the /register URL itself. I don't want to mask and redirect as did in the above case. Say, instead of /register, I would like to have /joinme such that my website will not be visible directly via Google for the keywords: register/create an account. So, we need to hack the Wordpress a bit to achieve it.. Please guide me from here.

Thanks and Regards,
    Siva.

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

That is correct yes but something which is unavoidable as wp-login is part of WordPress core so can't be removed.

Instead, you should use your robots.txt to stop search engines from indexing that URL and thus avoiding it showing up in search results.

Phil

• Jonathan
    • The Incredible Code Injector

@psivait,

You are most welcome, and lorange makes a valid point that spam crawlers / spambots don't respect robots.txt but at least the search engines try :wink:

But the better solution is to disable wordpress registration. And create your own registration form that you can use on any page you like yourdomain.com/x1sou89aoeu/ or yourdomain/grab-a-account/ or whatever ... :wink:

And the best solution is to charge the user, then create them account.

Jonathan

• psivait

Hi Jonathan & Lorange,

Thanks a lot for clarifying me. I am not a techie geek by the way! I thought changing the name of register.php file to grab-an-account.php is something pretty easy to achieve.. Isn't it? I am not interested to charge the users for signing up. Anyway, thanks for your solutions.

Please let me know your suggestions on the first point to just change the filename and make appropriate changes in other wordpress files that depend on register.php.

• psivait

Oops, sorry to open this topic again, but, I can confirm that robots.txt didn't help me to prevent the number of spam bots! Please give me a solution on how to change the registration link to some other such that Wordpress attacking spam bots would leave my website free..

• Jonathan

@psivait,

Your best bet is a custom registration form ( a custom coding project $$$ or existing plugin(s) ) that makes use of wordpress's cookies etc.

But if you don't want to create your own custom registration, you can always use a pre-existing type one with modifications and there are loads of plugins that do the same thing. There are a lot of options available - google is your friend :wink:

But, a quick fix is to create a page-template.php and use it as a page template "registeration"
    This doesn't have buddypress and all the other bits and bobs that are out there. This is just simple, that is why if you want special stuff (custom coding project)

You create a normal wordpress page. Name it whatever you want. And assign the page template to that page.

I would also go and unselect the wordpress registration option. That way users can't register themeselves - this is the default across your site. So the wp-login.php only becomes a login page.

Now for the page template. I just grabbed one from Justin Tadlock's Theme Hybrid page-template packages which is found on this page.
    http://themehybrid.com/themes/hybrid
    Look for Page Templates Pack (direct download)
    You don't need to be a member to download that page template pack (Justin Tadlock is an awesome dude, you gives so much back to the community)

I quickly made a few quick changes... I also commented out a check to see if users are allowed to register(which they aren't). So even though they can't, they can through this page. Make sense?

/* Check if users can register. */
    $registration = get_option( 'users_can_register' );

Here is the commented out section the //

<?php //if ( $registration || current_user_can( 'create_users' ) ) : ?>

and then the following endif statement
    <?php //endif; ?>
    There you go, but please this is for illustration purposes (yes it works), but it might not on your site, as you might have other things running in the background. Like hybrid theme :wink:

Jonathan

EDIT: Lorange who posted before me has linked to a great article while I was typing out and copying code into this monster post. Check it out

Support staff - I don't know if there is some sort of post length limit - please delete if it is too long :wink:

EDIT 2: I just deleted all the code - just left the commented out section. Will try to upload code instead.

• Jonathan

Attached is the updated hybrid page template from previous post.

The code was too much for a forum post, and needed to be attached as a file...

Edit: It won't let me upload .zip or .txt - Oh, well - shrugs.
    Edit2 lol - okay uploaded as .pdf

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Changing your robots.txt won't stop spambots actually hitting your registration form, and changing it won't have an immediate effect.

The robots.txt solution ensures that search engines don't index your register page and therefore when spammers search for registrations pages, as you describe in your first post, they won't see your site.

Phil

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.