change site url/domain on wpmu

To change site url/domain on a mu install, which method do you recommend?

• Paul Barthmaier
    • Code Wrangler

Hi there and welcome to the WPMU DEV Community for WordPress Support!

Although I understand the words you are using, I am afraid it’s not precise enough for me to understand the context that you are facing. There are places in Multisite to change the SiteURL and Home for subsites which reflect what is in the database, and on the main site there are others. However, if you have Domain Mapping, then that’s something else. Sorry if I’m a little dense, but I’d appreciate a little more insight into what you are wanting to accomplish.

Cheers,

Paul

• phillcoxon
    • The Crimson Coder

Hi winstonford,

Moving a MU site to a new domain can be done. I’ve just had to do this twice for one of my clients last week.

As a rule it’s not easy as it requires updating of every URL in the database along with .htaccess files etc.

The simplest way I’ve found to do it is with the BackupBuddy plugin which has a new beta feature to back up and redeploy WordPress Multi-Site installs.

Even though it is beta it worked perfectly for me and they provide a good level of instruction on the steps involved.

BackupBuddy is an awesome plugin to have anyway for general backing up of and redeploying WordPress sites onto different domains.

It’s one of my secret weapons that I use to backup a client website, redeploy it on a different domain to continue development and then back it up again and redeploy to the live domain.

I highly, highly recommend it.

The alternative will require careful changing of URLS in your WordPress database. Even as a fairly experienced tech geek I try to avoid editing the database directly on critical sites, let alone WP Multi-Site installs.

If you want a hand with moving your site feel free to drop me a line directly.

• Paul Barthmaier
    • Code Wrangler

There are a number of ways that you can do this, but you need to be sure that you make changes for links in your databse. The files will be the same but your database is what you want to be meticulous about. I’ve never done the BackupBuddy method, but I’ve heard that it can work. Not sure about multisite, though. I think you can use cPanel to do this, though. I’ll see if our server guy can pop in to advise.

Cheers,

Paul

• phillcoxon
    • The Crimson Coder

I thought I just answered this but I must have forgotten to hit save.

Yes, BackupBuddy has a beta mode for moving Multi-Site installs. It’s definitely doable as I used it twice in the last week. There’s a function to move the Main network site and then you have to use a plugin to update database links for the subdomain / subfolder sites.

It could be done through cpanel using phpMyAdmin but I definitely don’t recommend that for anyone without programming / technical experience. One tiny mistake in your database query and it can render the WordPress database unusable.

Here’s an example of how to do it by editing the database, but I don’t encourage it unless you know what you’re doing.

http://halfelf.org/2012/moving-wordpress-multisite/

• phillcoxon
    • The Crimson Coder

Hi winstonford

Thanks for the link to the search and replace script – that’s very cool. I haven’t seen that before and it looks awesome. Just downloaded it.

It wasn’t a sales pitch – I just shared what I use regularly. You’ll note I gave a link to an example of how to update URLs directly in the database using phpMyAdmin but I strongly caution people against doing it manually because I’ve seen too many people wipe out their database trying to use SQL queries.

The interconnecit plugin is a MUCH better solution to replacing the URLS in the database if the website is staying on the same server.

If, however, someone is moving their WordPress or Multi-Site installation to a new hosting server or wanting to deploy a clone to a new domain name (say from a development domain to live server) then they still need to have all the files and wordpress database zipped up and moved across and the config files (.htaccess, wp-config.php) edited and updated on the new server.

That’s where something like BackupBuddy shines because it takes care of everything automatically.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.