Change template after site creation - New Blog Template/Multisite

I have a multisite network with Marketpress and Prosites and New Blog Templates. My issues and questions:

First, I want Prosites to allow new users to select between the different levels of membership (including free) when registering. They don't have to register for a free account then upgrade.

Second, now that they can pick between memberships (including free) they are taken to the template selection. Free would only have the default template (that looks like the main site) and paying members would have access to all templates. How can I achieve this?

Third, members can go into their admin panel and change their template whenever they like. From what I understand, there is major conflict happening with all the script/code when a switch like this happens. Is there a way that they can switch templates but with the consequence of losing everything? Basically, "start fresh". This will obviously be communicated to them.

Or is there any workaround that can achieve the same effects? Like all users sign up for free account first. Then when they upgrade, they are able to select from templates.

• Patrick

Hi @josh

First: the easy way to do that is to enable the Pay To Blog module. That way, a newly registered user can at least see their site but, as soon as they try to access the admin, they're redirected to the payment page.

Second & Third: there is currently no integration between New Blog Templates and Pro Sites in the way you have described.

However, giving an option to the network admin to associate selected New Blog Ttemplates with Pro Sites levels sounds like a very cool feature suggestion!

You can enable the Premium Themes modules though, which can at least give pro users more theme options.

• josh

Hi @ Patrick

Thanks for your reply!

The issues with the pay to blog feature is that it doesn't allow a free account. I want users to be able to use my service, though very limited, for however long they would like. Then upgrade when they don't want those limitations.

But more specifically, my issue is that I want a new user to be able to register for a site and have the option to choose between the membership levels including the free level. My theory is that people that know what they want or are amazed with the value of what they are getting will buy into it even without trying. I don't want them to have to register, verify email, log in, then figure out how to upgrade. Too long and too much work for the user.

As far as the New Blog Templates go. Yea I would love that feature! Please flag it so it doesn't get lost.

For premium themes, is there a way that I can have the theme all set up like a shop so that the user would just have to change what I have in by default to what they want?

I want it to be user friendly. So I want them to click on whatever theme it is they want, and the default is something that I created. Like a fake shop and all they have to do is change the fake shop pics out with their pics and etc.

This seems like the only somewhat similar idea. How can I do this?

• be

Just in case: re free..
    If you uncheck "pay to blog"
    Your users will have the Free option (at what you set ie X pages etc) and the levels you provide
    "pay to blog" is used to force everyone to pay..

But more specifically, my issue is that I want a new user to be able to register for a site and have the option to choose between the membership levels including the free level.

Try without the pay to blog.. it does this..

• josh

Thanks @be

I guess I rambled too much. But my main issue is that new potential users can't simply subscribe to one of my memberships from the get go. Instead the have to register a free site then upgrade. Err

I would like a table explaining all the difference between all the levels including the free one. Then a user can say I want the middle one and click the button for the middle one and be taken to the registration process including payment subscription.

Is this correct or am I doing something wrong?

• be

It is all a bit confusing and a Table of logic for devs would be fabulous... I agree..

Users should be able to choose whichever option either free or level at the get go..
    From initial choice to upgrade they simply click on their own account tab and choose the next level they wish - it is really a quick few step process.

Its a bit horse and cart in so far as they create their accounts first and then pay last..

Re templates etc this can be a bit tricky but with thinking outside the box sometimes you can achieve very interesting end results.. :slight_smile:

When you setup the template you can choose what they see from simple text up to working demo site. for them to choose from..

• Patrick

Hi again @josh

LOL. I'll admit I got a bit confused reading your posts. You first say

They don't have to register for a free account then upgrade.

Then in a reply:

The issues with the pay to blog feature is that it doesn't allow a free account. I want users to be able to use my service, though very limited, for however long they would like. Then upgrade when they don't want those limitations.

There is unfortunately, no built-in feature to automatically redirect to the Pro Sites checkout. However, with the Pay To Blog feature enabled and it's "Disable Front End" setting not checked, they can view their new site, but are redirected to the checkout page as soon as they try to access their admin.

• josh

@Patrick

Sorry for the confusion.

Yea, it isn't looking too bright for the features I want.

Want people that are signing up to be able to pick from all levels. Not sign up for free then upgrade through admin panel. Ex. see attachment called "Example". People see the table of differences and they can click the button below the corresponding level and be taken to the checkout process for that level.

Also want the auto disable feature if payment isn't received. This is the "pay to blog" part. But it doesn't allow a free level (I wan them to be able to use the site, just limited items etc. not just be able to view the site)

thanks for the help guys and let me know if you think of ways to do this.

• Patrick

Hi again @josh

Also want the auto disable feature if payment isn't received. This is the "pay to blog" part.

Ah, a bit of clarification is needed here. :slight_smile:

The Pay To Blog module removes the free option entirely and forces payment. However, if you do not enable that module, a paid site will revert back to free status if payment isn't received.

When that happens, the user is redirected to the payment page where they have the option of paying again, or continuing with a free site. If they choose to continue with a free site, they will soon discover that all premium options have been disabled, including premium plugins they may have had activated previously.

As for the price table, that is coming soon in a future update, but is not currently available I'm afraid.

Also, while this may sound a bit silly, it is kinda important to use standard terminology when referring to WordPress bits & bobs.

A template is something that is used in side a theme to output content to the front-end of the site. So a theme can contain several templates, each for specific types of content.

Site templates built with New Blog Template can only be selected at site creation. But once the site has been created, the theme can be changed at any time.

• josh

@Patrick Cohen

Thanks for that clarification.

However, if you do not enable that module, a paid site will revert back to free status if payment isn't received.

I didn't know this would happen. That's great! Do you know what happens with their products? Let's say I limited the free level to 5 products. And the user had 100 products with their paid account but decided not to pay. Yes they would revert back to the free level, but would their products still be viewable and buyable, or would prosites somehow pick 5 products to display and the rest would go into a "pending" stage??

Site templates built with New Blog Template can only be selected at site creation. But once the site has been created, the theme can be changed at any time.

Thanks for educating me! It helps to know the proper vocabulary.

So if I make a site template, with an about us page, a policy page, a review page, all with place holders, a user can just change the theme and all those pages, with placeholders will be intact, just styled to however the new theme is??
    If so, that would solve my problem.

Thanks Patrick, for this post and the numerous other ones you have been helping me.

• cry1978

Here is my website sort of lol, it displays all the levels, free included to choose from

http://topresellhosting.com/pro-site/

To make the free version have plugins you

first make sure it is not activated in the plugins section of network super admin, that way you will be able to see it in the pro sites section where you are supposed to set each plugin and theme to go with what ever level you want, including free level.

my site is vary freshly new and going through all the BEST must have plugins and themes first before I through in the candy, that way I can figure it out.

Hope I helped a little

• Patrick

@josh

Do you know what happens with their products? Would their products still be viewable and buyable, or would prosites somehow pick 5 products to display and the rest would go into a "pending" stage?

Very good question. If a user's Pro Site level expires and they have exceeded the quota you set, all the products they have already created will still be viewable and buyable. But they will be redirected to the Pro Site checkout page the next time they visit the products page in their admin. They can then renew their plan and create more products, or continue on a free plan.

Also, if you have MarketPress network-activated, and have enabled the MarketPress Global Products Filter module in Pro Sites, their products will be removed from any global product lists as an incentive to renew. :slight_smile:

...a user can just change the theme and all those pages, with placeholders will be intact, just styled to however the new theme is?

Yes indeedy! And that's where the fun can start with Pro Sites and the Premium Themes module.

• cry1978

Yep I just realized that, I have the membership activated but never changed anything to it, I guess all becomes protected once enabled, even from the admin. When you click enable at the top page where it says admin, everything gets turned off and the solution is to take out that plugin in cpanel to a new folder, this disables the wordpress plugins when you can not view your admin pages.

• Patrick

@josh

I forgot one important detail about changing themes.

Theme authors use different naming conventions to identify menus and sidebars. So when a theme is changed, menus and sidebars/widgets often go a bit awry.

If/when that happens, simply visit Appearance > Menus and select the appropriate menu location for the new theme. Then visit Appearance > Widgets to drag widgets into the new theme's sidebars.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.