Change the color of the text on hover nav

Is there a theme option to change the nav hoover text color -- or do I have to do it through css mod

• mindset

Obviously, I am?

When you change things through the theme options --- do those changes get written to the child theme -- cause I don't see them ---

The theme has a lot of options in numerous places -- yet no definition of what they are -- so it is a trial and error to find out what changes what -- so a manual or an area diagram would be nice -----

So it allows you to change the hoover color, the border, but not the text???? so logically that did not make sense -- so I spent an hour trying to find out where to do it --

I don't like to modify the css manually if the theme options does it -- because it has always caused trouble in the past --

I have never understood how theme options work -- because I never see the changes in the child themes -- and I have never gotten an answer from a theme developer nor can I find anything -- about where it puts these theme mods --

So yes, I am having issues - like I do with every theme ----

you have top header, main header, top header text link color, top header text color -- but no definition of what each is --- BP setup even more confusing --

what is the difference between text color, and test link color -- I have spent hours and can not even determine what is changing --

then you can change hover background color, hover border color -- but not the text color inside it?????? Go figure ---

So yes, I spend hours looking for things that should be there logically that arn't there -- so a map of some kind would certainly help :slight_smile:

• aristath

When you change things through the theme options --- do those changes get written to the child theme -- cause I don't see them ---

Options are saved in the database, so they do not apply to child themes.

So it allows you to change the hoover color, the border, but not the text???? so logically that did not make sense -- so I spent an hour trying to find out where to do it --

It does not allow you to change the generic color of the text.
    It allows you to change the color of the generic links and the color that they will have on hover.
    Specific options exist for specific elements like for example the top header, but not for the body of your pages.

I have never understood how theme options work -- because I never see the changes in the child themes -- and I have never gotten an answer from a theme developer nor can I find anything -- about where it puts these theme mods --

Have you tried this on the parent theme?
    Child themes should be used when you edit template files etc.
    If you only need to edit some CSS which I suspect is what you ar doing, then my advise would be to use the parent theme and simply install a plugin like this one for you CSS needs: http://wordpress.org/plugins/simple-custom-css/

Cheers,
    Ari.

• mindset

I gather this plugin is MU compatible --

Ok -- the reason you use a child theme -- is so when you upgrade core theme -- your data is not touched ---- does this create a seperate file that you can backup???

You say:

It does not allow you to change the generic color of the text.
    It allows you to change the color of the generic links and the color that they will have on hover.

My issue is my hover menu item background is dark -- and so on hover -- you can not read the menu text --- so I want the text on hover to be white instead of black --- and it sounds to me by what you said that there is a setting for this -- but I can't find it?

• JosephLee1179

Hi Mindset. I am a theme developer. I want to help you.

The Customizer is an API theme developers use. Anything you save in the Customizer is then hooked in to your theme when someone visits the site. So the styles saved there typically hook in to the head hook. So if you go to your webpage and use the chrome inspector, you can typically find a <script> styles... </script> inside the <head></head> of your html document. The styles from the customizer are saved in the wordpress database.

If you use the parent's customizer to customize the theme, then create a child theme, the child them will inherit the changes you made in the parent's customizer screen.

You are correct, modifying a theme's original files is normally a bad idea. The theme could be updated and delete your changes. However, this link I am about to give you is a godsend for users such as yourself.

http://markjaquith.wordpress.com/2009/12/14/excluding-your-plugin-or-theme-from-update-checks/

With this simple snippet in the functions.php file, you can block WP from ever trying to update the theme you are using. So you are not at risk of accidentally removing all of the goodness you add. You don't have to child theme. I don't think WPMU updates their themes frequently. You probably won't be missing out on much by blocking the update.

If you share your website with me, since I don't even know what theme you are working on, I will be happy to give you the lines of code in CSS you need to make whatever changes you want.

Just tell me what you are trying to achieve and I will reply with the exact snippet you need to paste to style.css of that theme.

I hope all of this helps.

• mindset

I am already using a child theme -- and I don't have nay problem changing the css -- again I just don;'t like to do it -- if it is in the theme options --

and it just seemed logical for that option to be there also since all the options around the text has options but not the text itself in the hover--

I will try using your customizer plugin on the next project I do --

Thanks --

so in order to change the text color of the menu when hovering -- I have to change the css ---

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.