Change to add new user page on multi-site install? Or am I trippin?

Hi folks,

I’m back after a month-long hiatus and already off to a rough start. I’m working on a buddypress/multisite install in which I need to add new users without them receiving an email confirmation. This, as memory serves, worked fine before: I would create a new site, then go to that site dashboard, go to add new user, and get the awesome page where I could define all their info including password, and choose not to send them an email.

It seems that now when I go in to add a new user, I don’t get that awesome page, but a page to add existing user or new user, with username and email (no password). The tickbox is there saying that I have the option to not send a mail, but IT DOES! IT SENDS THE EMAIL! ACK!

Am I trippin? Missing something? Help?! Much hair is being pulled out over here…

cheers,

-jennyb

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hiya Jenny!

First things first; the difference you are describing is the difference between single and multisite.

If you were to go to Users > Add New in a single WP site you would see that lovely form where you can specify everything (I love it too!).

It’s different in Multisite though, as you’ve found.

Now… checking that Skip confirmation e-mail box should be working so I suspect something else is sending the e-mail.

Can you tell me what happens if you don’t tick that box? Do you just get one e-mail or two?

Thanks,

Phil

• jennybeaumont
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, I do realize that the difference is made between the single or multi-site install! We’ve actually had this conversation before, remember? :slight_smile:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/deactivate-new-user-email-notifications

That’s why I feel like I’m TRIPPIN, because I swear that before you lead me to a solution that was working just peachy. It seems like before I was able to access a similar form to the one we know on the single WP install – but maybe I imagined the whole thing…

Now, if I check the box to skip the confirmation email, the person does not need to confirm the inscription, but they do get the inscription information via email.

I need for them to get NADA. No email, at all. And therefore I’d like to be able to assign them a password, like I thought I had been doing…unless it was all a dream (i’ve been on vacay for over a month and my memory ain’t always that good :wink:)

Humbly,

-jennyb

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Just checking :wink: Yeah, I had the same thing… I think it changed in 3.2 but I can’t be sure. Haven’t bothered to check back on what older versions did…

Yep, the problem now is that in Multisite there is no way to add a user and set their password.

So, if you don’t send them an e-mail they’ll have to go through password reset in order to get access.

The only option I can think of is to use https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/batch-create although that has no option to specify that an e-mail shouldn’t be sent out….

Phil

• jennybeaumont
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Hi Mason,

The plugin description states, “All new users will receive an email containing the new username, password and login link.” So this is not at all what I want. What I really need is the ability to PREVENT users from receiving any kind of email whatsoever. Or at least to have the choice (because later down the road we may want to, but for now we need to avoid it).

Thanks for your input nonetheless!

best,

-jennyb

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.