Changed mapped subsite's domain. Now, 404 Error.

Everything was hunky dory.

Site at tch.wordwideweb.co was mapped to TwinCitiesHeadshots.com

I changed the original subdomain of the main site to twincitiesheadshots.wordwideweb.co

Now anytime I visit the site's frontend, i get 404 errors.

Failed Fix Attempts:

I changed it back to tch.wordwideweb.co, 404.
I deleted the mapping from within the subsite's admin panel, 404.
I deleted the plugin and reinstalled it, 404.

What do I need to do to this plugin to get it to not 404 after changing a site's url/domain?

• dschulzjackson
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Now I'm in even MORE over my head;

Trying to troubleshoot this on my own, I dropped the tables. (To make the plugin REALLY be gone so I can start from scratch...)

Now I can't save changes on each site's domain-mapping panel...

GENERAL GUIDANCE PLEASE?

• dschulzjackson

UPDATE:

Everything *appears* to be all better;

I just deleted the site, and added another site by the desired subdomain (twincitiesheadshots.wordwideweb.me).

Then I mapped it to twincitiesheadshots.com, and it worked fine....

So all's well, IF i'm willing to delete the site entirely. Fine for now, but it would be nice to know a little more about how to manage this WITHOUT deleting sites.... for obvious reasons...

I'll await input. Perhaps links to more resources, or brief explanations of how to manage changing a subsite's network-subdomain while maintaining the domain mapping.

Thanks,

• dschulzjackson

Everything appears to be fixing itself with time. It was flip-flopping for a while; without me doing anything, http://twincitiesheadshots.com/ went back and forth from being 404 and being functional, it appears to be all good now.

Seems to me there was probably some nameserver/propagation stuff making it go funny.

Which is weird; I wouldn't expect the plugin to affect nameserver/propagation stuff...

(Also, any time I typed .co it was a typo by habit; that's my old site)

So perhaps my only remaining question now that all appears to have turned out well is this:

How does this plugin work, in basic terms, and why would that result in such delayed and sporadic 404/justfine behavior when switching subsite's subdomain?

• Paul Barthmaier
    • Code Wrangler

Would you believe me if I told you it was voodoo? That and the power outage at the Super Bowl. I think. Pretty sure anyway. I won't pretend to understand how that was happening to you, but I know how you feel. Propagation is all you hear from the experts, but sometimes it's so immediate and others it takes forever. Can we just be happy we're on the other side now, though?

Cheers,
    Paul

Locked yourself in EasyBlogging? Relax: http://goo.gl/R3gJr

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.