Changed Prices of membership - Not updating for renewing members

Hi,

We have many set date range memberships on the site with different access levels. They were originally set up for access between Jan16 > Dec16 but we have recently changed the dates to Nov16>Dec17 so people are able to 'renew' the membership by purchasing again for a new date range.

We have also recently updated the prices of the memberships but I have noticed a note that states 'this will only effect new invoices' I am trying to renew a membership at the moment and it is showing the old price - however if I choose a new membership to sign up for the prices seem correct. Will this happen if members were signed up for the membership they are renewing before the prices changed? The prices do seem to be correct for new members if I create a new account. If this is the case, why is it generating the old price when it should be a new invoice for the next year? After the original membership date (Dec 16) will the prices up date?

Is there anyway to resolve this please?

Thanks

• Jude

Hey Carl

Hope all is well with you and you are keeping fine !

Which version of the plugin are you on currently ?

We have also recently updated the prices of the memberships but I have noticed a note that states 'this will only effect new invoices' I am trying to renew a membership at the moment and it is showing the old price - however if I choose a new membership to sign up for the prices seem correct. Will this happen if members were signed up for the membership they are renewing before the prices changed?

Yes this is how it will work, payment gateways wont allow for us to change the price of an existing authorised subscription. You will want to ask your members to cancel and resubscribe at the new rates when their current membership expires. This is not something we can change on our end as gateways enforce this.

After the original membership date (Dec 16) will the prices up date?

After the membership expires and if this current membership is no longer active on the site then they will be given an option to subscribe at the new rate. Hope that clarifies.

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV member and have a fantastic day !

Cheers
    Jude

• Carl

Hey Jude

Which version of the plugin are you on currently ? - We do need to update however we are waiting until everyone has renewed memberships.

Yes this is how it will work, payment gateways wont allow for us to change the price of an existing authorised subscription. You will want to ask your members to cancel and resubscribe at the new rates when their current membership expires. This is not something we can change on our end as gateways enforce this. This is actually how we have done it.. We have asked our users to 'cancel and renew' if they are signing up before the 31st, so surely this should work.. right?
    To repeat, we have asked people to 'CANCEL' their current membership and sign up for the same one with the amended dates and prices - the dates are working but it still shows the old price. From what you have said, this should be working?

Thanks.

After the original membership date (Dec 16) will the prices up date?
    After the membership expires and if this current membership is no longer active on the site then they will be given an option to subscribe at the new rate. Hope that clarifies.

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV member and have a fantastic day !

Cheers
    Jude

• Carl

Hi Ash,

I have now allowed support to access the site.

To clarify - All of the memberships have had their prices updated. We are asking people to cancel and renew the same membership so surely they should be paying the updated price?

Also, when the accounts expire on the 31st December and they can no longer cancel and only renew- Can you please let me know if this will be the correct pricing?

Thanks

• Luís

Hi Carl ,

Hope you're doing well today!

Firstly, sorry for the late reply and all the problems it may have caused.

I tested this on my install and the prices didn't changed, even after we cancel and re-subscribing the membership again.

I think there is a bug in this feature, so, I've flagged the developer so they can get it fixed up asap.

Either myself or the developer will reply back here once we have pushed a fix out.

Cheers, Luís

• Carl

Hello,

I am beginning to get a little frustrated with this, is it possible for someone to please provide me with an update? I have an email ready to go to explain to members how to renew - however I do not want to send this if the prices are going got be wrong!

I would also really appreciate an answer to my earlier question - '' Also, is it please possible to let me know if the prices will update for people that are renewing after the 31st December? Or will we need to get the members to cancel and sign up again anyway..? ''

Thanks,

Alex.

• Luís

Hi Carl ,

Hope you're doing well today!

Firstly, sorry for the late reply and all the problems it may have caused.

Also, when the accounts expire on the 31st December and they can no longer cancel and only renew- Can you please let me know if this will be the correct pricing?

From what I tested, Membership is not assuming the new price to renew the subscription and even after the expiry time (in your case 31st December) it will display the old price.

I already pinged the developer to get their valuable feedback, in order to see if we can provide an hotfix to this issue.

Cheers, Luís

• Luís

Hi Carl ,

Can you try this hotfix, please?

1) Download the file attached and unzip it;

2) Using FTP access, upload the "class-ms-model-relationship.php" file to "wp-content/plugins/membership/app/model" folder, to replace the original one.

I already tested it on my install and it worked as expected, so, if the user cancel and renew the subscription again, the new price should be displayed and charged.

Cheers, Luís

• Carl

We are having yet more problems on the site - I am wondering if this is to do with the recent update. Please see a conversation below between our website admin and our website agency. Can you please have a look and see what is causing this?! Could it be to do with the update you passed to us to add on? It seems we have had nothing but issues with Membership 2 for a considerable time now.

Thanks in advance.

FROM AVA.
    ear all,

I have been receiving several emails from people having problems with their payments. From mid-last week until now I have got notifications from 7 people. Apparently everything goes well but they never get any confirmation regarding the payment, and their status is notr updated - remains cancelled. I don't know if I call it luck or not, but one of these people is also one of my resident colleagues here in Vienna, so I could have a better look on the problem. I tried with he rto pay many times without success, always checking the back end site. I even created a new invoice and , which we tried to pay without success.
    She logged in to Paypal normally, apparently everything goes fine but no confirmation of paymentand also no update on my side. I suggested her to pay with CC via Stripe and it went without problems. I also noticed that since she just renewed her membership, did not change the type, she got the same invoice number with the same date it was created - some time December 2015. That might be a bit confusing to some other people.

Some other people emailed me with problems throught the bank transfer. Just now I realized the invoice also has the bank transfer option, but it's all in white so basically invisible. Is that on purpose? I have been trying to discourage people to use that option, because when I was playing around with a t4est membership when I clicked on bank transfer I got the instructions to manually transfer the money, needs 5-7 day to confirm the money entered into our account etc.

Anyway, long story short: We are having problems with Bank transfer AND Paypal (apparently)!!!!!!!!

RESPONSE FROM WEBSITE MANAGEMENT COMPANY
    I have looked into the back end and there have been two PayPal payments since last week, but I can see that the 'cancelled memberships' has jumped up.

Can you please provide me with the names of the 7 people that are having problems and a copy of their emails? Can you please let me know the name of the member that paid without problems but her membership did not update? I have looked at the recent invoices that have been generated and paid through Stripe an they all have the correct dates so I am not sure where the December 2015 date was spotted?

As an temporary resolution we can remove PayPal from the site so people can pay with Stripe?

• Carl

Hi. I have had a reply from our Website developers - please look into this ASAP.

I’ve had a look in the admin and the settings look correct but I think you’re going to need to bring it up with the plugin support. it sounds like its not sending data back after the payment to close the payment on the site. a lot of the time this is done by sending data back to an address on the ava site. if this address can’t be opened for some reason it would cause the order to stay open

• Carl

Break down of all issues so far! There are many different problems now with the plug in and this NEEDS resolving ASAP! I will grant support access on the website so you can take a look. Please can you advise, this really is getting out of hand.

) Gabriela Musk: Tried to pay with credit card with no success - I saw her invoice (VAA online only) was in draft mode. I generated a new invoice manually (paper + VAA online) and she paid without further issues. Invoice 2569, created on 24th Dec 2015. Membership active!

2) Teela Jones - Had problems with bank transfer payment. Below her email:
    "I tried to renew my resident membership, I clicked the Cancel to Renew button and then the Renew button. I then clicked the Bank Transfer button to make a payment and got this message 'Your request to join the membership was successfully received!
    The Payment Gateway could take a couple of minutes to process and return the payment status.' But I have not been directed to a payment page or been able to make a payment. On my membership status it just says that I have cancelled and not renewed. Could you please advise me how to correct this and make the payment?
    Thank you"
    I replied her explaining bank transfer is not automatic process and she should be able to see the AVA bank details. There's no invoice pending or anything. I also asked her which membership she wants (VAA online or VAA online+paper). Waiting for reply

3) Alex Dugdale (username alexd): Wrote during this weekend as a reply for the mailchimp explainin how to renew. Below her email
    "Hi there,
    I followed the link etc. and thought that I'd successfully paid my new year's membership... but I've since had a message telling me that I've successfully cancelled my 2016 membership; and also with an invoice attached to tell me that I must pay by Jan 6th 2016 (not 2017 !?!)... I'm not sure whether my payment went through or not, but I will try to check.
    VBW
    Alex"
    Currently hsa membership cancelled, without pending invoice. Her last transaction is the cancellation. I replied to her yesterday (Sunday), awaiting reply. In all cases I have initially asked in my reply which membership they want: online only online+paper copy, and that has been delaying a bit the whole process.

4) Tyfane Yamaoka: All ok, had some concerns because of reminders being sent. I replied telling her the reminders were sent to everyone, no matter if they have renewed or not (not sure if Ilied though).

5) Fiona Scarlett - Tried to renew twice - I generated a new invoice (number 8951) with the Nurses online only membership , currently pending and awaiting payment.

6) Martina Argano - my office mate, tried to pay several times through paypal wthout success. I repeated the process with her. I generated a new invoice but she did not receive any email with it (because she did not change her membership type?). Apparently everything goes fine, she clicked on "checkout with paypal", logs in there, confirm the payment but gets no response. I also saw no response on the backend. I suggested her to try the credit card stripe method and she had no problems. Invoice 2692, generated as well in 2015 (even though I created it manually minutes before she paid)

7) Kim Ticehurst - renewed membership through paypal, emailed us on saturday inquiring if the payment went through or not as did not get any confirmation. However, the system shows her with active membership and the payment proceeded.

8) Denise Prisk: Inquired us yesterday about having problems with bank trans fer payment. Below her email:
    I am having trouble renewing my membership. I followed the steps and selected to pay by bank transfer. However, I then received an email saying my membership had been cancelled (although they spelled it the US way!) and I was no longer a member. Sure enough, I was unable to log in with my details, but as I had left the page open, I got back into my account details page and tried again. I again selected to pay with bank transfer, and again it said it was successful - which I am dubious about as I have changed banks since last year, so I was hoping to give my new bank details - but I don't seem to be a member any more.

I hope I have not paid twice! However, I don't think the transfer actually happened. I am anxious to sort this out this week as I am taking off for sunny climes and will be in Spain until January.

Help!

Kind regards

Denise Prisk

I replied to her saying her membership was cancelled and she has no pending invoices. I also told her most likely she did not paid as the bank transfer is not automatic. I just sent her a new invoice (number 2064) I manually generated with details on how to pay (I thought to be prudent as well and recommended her to avoid paypal for the time being). The invoice states: "Invoice date 16th December 2015" - so indeed if the person does not change the membership type they will have the same invoice number with the same original date

9) Asher Allison: Emailed us today, 11:34 (10:34 british time). Latest person to report problems with Paypal (tried 3 separate times). Reported that all the times Paypal reported succesful transaction however can't see the transaction on their Paypal page nor receives any confirmatoin from AVA. Asked for any recommendations, I recommended the Credit Card with Stripe and told Paypal is having some technical issues and we are investigating it

• Carl

UPDATE - I removed PayPal as a payment gateway (this was working before we added the update you provided) and now from what I can test - the manual payment gateway is now generating an invoice again and providing the members with the payment details. The invoices in pending with the incorrect dates are from many months ago so this could have been before the dates were changed - I cannot say.

We finish for Christmas very soon, and we are not available to deal with members troubles as often as we are! I need complete confirmation that everything is fixed, and what happened.

Please, get back to me as soon as possible.

Thanks

• Carl

These issues were not happening before the fix as far as we can see. Regardless, they shouldn't be happening at all. This has caused huge issues, and a large number of complaints from AVA members. Have you any idea why there are so many different things going wrong?

It has taken over 24 hours to get a response to this ticket and as you are aware this is pretty urgent. Things seem to be okay for now but I still need confirmation to why this happened and that it won't happen again, and why PayPal wasn't working?

Thanks, I look forward to hearing your reply.

• Ash

Hello Carl

Sorry for all the issue you were having.

These issues were not happening before the fix as far as we can see. Regardless, they shouldn't be happening at all.

Thanks for your confirmation. I am reverting the changes and attaching the original file here. Please replace in the same location. This file is the exactly same file which is in current release of the plugin.

I will work on the original fixes and update asap.

Have a good day!

Cheers
    Ash

• Carl

Hi Ash..

To be honest you have completely confused me!

Why are we replacing it?! Have you made any updates to it.. was there something wrong? If you haven't had time to investigate this, then why is the site being reverted and why am I uploading the file again?

Have you already removed this? Please, before you make ANY changes to the site can you confirm what you are doing and why? We are finally at a point where the email complaints from members have stopped - so I need to understand what is going on!

Thanks

• Ash

Hello Carl

Well, let me explain.

The issue was, when user tries to resubscribe he doesn't see the updated price, rather he was seeing old price, though new price is charged.

So we made a fix for that, Luis provided the fix in here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/changed-prices-of-membership-not-updating-for-renewing-members#post-1181447

Please note that, we did some testing before giving you the fix, but we didn't see any issue.

Now as you are saying, you are having issues after using the file that Luis gave, so I have given you the original file removing the changes that was made in Luis' given file. In my last reply, the file is the same file what was before Luis' changes.

So if you confirm, with old file your things were going fine (except showing old price) then I will work on the price issue.

Let me know please.

Have a good day!

Cheers
    Ash

• Carl

I cannot use this file as the prices need to be correct, as they appear to be at the moment.

The problem is now that PayPal doesn't seem to be recognising or receiving any payments - and when this was turned on the manual gateway was also down. I also need to ensure that there is no way that people will be able to renew for '2016' as seen in above emails.

I am not going to upload the old file - as the prices have to be correct.

If you can please investigate the problem at hand another way that would be great.

Thanks for your help Ash.

• Ash

Okay, I have just gone through in my test site with similar setup and that worked for me! Maybe the issue is your site specific,

I believe there are some settings difference between your site and my test site. Is this possible for you to create a sandbox site with exact same thing as your live site, then I can continue my testing in there with my sandbox information?

If so, please send me that sandbox site's admin login and cpanel details (as I might need db access too). To send me details, please use our contact form: https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Select: I have a different question
    Subject: Attn-Ash (this ensures that it will be assigned to me)
    Details:
    1. Send all requested details
    2. Send a link of this thread so that I can track
    3. Send any other relevant link

I will be happy to take a look :slight_smile:

Cheers
    Ash

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.