changed URL from HTTP to HTTPS, can no longer sign in

Hello,

I recently volunteered to help my local fitness center admin their WordPress.org site. Someone reported that they were getting a 404 Error "Requested URL not found on this server" when trying to access the website. I looked online, and saw that a possible solution was to change the URL of the website from HTTP to HTTPS. I did so, and now I can no longer log into the wp-login.php portal. I continuously get the error in the attached image.

Is there any way to solve this?

I apologize, but I do not have access the the server itself that the site is being run on...I have been helping them through the admin portion of the website itself, e.g. uploading new photos, new events, etc. I have never used WordPress.org through a server before, I apologize for my lack of knowledge on the subject. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

• Alex Stine

Hello K Jonathan
    Hope you're well!

You will need to change your Site URL and WordPress URL via wp-config back to the correct options. To do this you will need access to the wp-config.php file. I'm afraid that you will need server access for this one. If you are able to get server access, you can use FTP or File Manager to complete the following.
    1. Login and view the site files.
    2. Locate the /wp-config.php file, can be found under public_html/wp-config.php in most installs.
    3. At the following lines before the line that says:
    /* That's all, stop editing! Happy blogging. */

define('WP_HOME','http://example.com');
    define('WP_SITEURL','http://example.com');

You will want to replace example.com with your domain name. Also be sure to use http://www.example.com if the domain began with www.

Once you are back in to the WP Admin, you will want to go to Settings > Permalinks, and click Save Changes. This will update your Permalinks clearing any errors there might be.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if I can answer any further questions.

Cheers,
    Alex :smiley:

• K Jonathan

Hi Alex,

Thank you very much! Very much appreciated.

I was wondering if you could answer another question, sorry if it is a bit silly, but:

To get server access, do I need to access the server that the website was originally established with? By this, I mean the computer that the WordPress server was installed on? The previous admin of the site is no longer in contact with the fitness center.

Or, can I just install WordPress and set up my own server for it? If so, I would be confused on how I would access the files through my new server.

Many thanks for any help!

• Alex Stine

Hello K Jonathan
    Hope you are well today!

I am sorry, but you will have to get access to the server that the sites files are currently on. Getting another server would not help here since the files are still located on the current server, the server that the domain name is pointed to. You will have to make the file edits through the current server.

I'm sorry my answer couldn't been of more help.

Cheers,
    Alex :smiley:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.