Changes in Child Theme are not inherited

Hi, I wanted to changes some things in the navigation bar of BP corporate. So I did as recommended: I copied navigation.php from BP corporate to Bp corporate child and adjusted the things I wanted. But the changes didn´t show…tried to delete navigation.php in BP corporate, but got an error message (of course :wink: ). The changes in navigation.php DID work when I copied it to the original BP corporate theme (NOT the Child theme). Why doesn´t it work when I change the child theme?

• ellaj
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Hi,

I had the same issue with the Community theme. I’m running WP 3.0.

I needed to change something in the nav and did as you suggested above which worked. However, I need to change a lot of things and I copy the necessary file to the child theme and make the changes, then upload to the server and nothing happens. I can only make changes using the original files.

What can I do to fix this?

Thank you.

• Tammie
    • WordPress Wizard

@ellaj: First up what is your install path for the theme – I need to check some things. If you are calling the navigation you need to check this line in header.php:

<?php load_template (TEMPLATEPATH . '/navigation.php'); ?>

I’ve not tested it but think if you change this to:

<?php locate_template( array( '/navigation.php' ), true ); ?>

• ellaj

Hi Tammie,

The path (and I hope this is what you mean) is /wp-content/themes/bp-community-child/…

In that themes folder I also have installed bp-community.

When I needed to change the navigation file I did what you originally said and was able to upload it to the bp-child folder and it worked. However, when I try to do the same with the style sheets it doesn’t work.

Thanks for your response.

• ellaj

One was base.css. The other files in my child are:

main-column.php

home.php

header.php

These are the files I can’t upload via child and have to make the changes in the main folder.

Thank you for your help.

• Tammie
    • WordPress Wizard

@ellaj: Ah yes the issue is the theme uses:

<?php include (TEMPLATEPATH . '/main-column.php'); ?>

This needs to become:

<?php

locate_template( array( '//main-column.php'), true ); ?>

That would be in the parent theme then it will look first in the child then in the parent and pick up your files.

That said header.php and home.php should work if that isn’t we have a bit more of an issue.

Base.css should be fine IF the child style.css is listing it – is it?

There will at some point be an update to the problem with TEMPLATEPATH however we have no date for that yet.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.