Changes in magazine theme

Hi!

I actually have a couple of problems and hope to get help :slight_frown:.

1 - The menu above i would like to change, how to I add pages in the 'magazine' - tab?

2 - In this community the members are students and the Groups are Clubs (student-clubs). I would like every Group to be a club, but i dont want members to be able to create groups..is this possible? How do i do this?

3 - Is it possible to make a 'News' - section where every club has its own "blog"?

4 - How do i make the front page like this:
- A slider with different pictures.
- Some news below the slider that updates when a Club s post news in its own news-section.

5 - Last I wanna put a menu named 'Pics' - Here i want albums (like a pile with fotos) from various dates when clubs have been taken som photos. How do i do this? Also is it possible for "tags" in the pics?

A lot of questions, hope you can help me with some:slight_frown:

thx

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hello there nationsvimmel,

First things first. Welcome to WPMU DEV! We're glad you're here!

I believe it might be best to have a few separate threads to better handle all your questions but we can try and get to the crux of them here in this thread. I'll try and keep these somewhat separate in responding here as well.

1.) You should be able to add pages to the menu using the built-in Wordpress menu editor by navigating to Appearance > Menus .

You can use the following guide to help get you started there.
    http://codex.wordpress.org/WordPress_Menu_User_Guide

Once you setup the menu in the editor, you should then be able to see all your menu items in the theme. If you have any question about this, please just let me know! :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    David

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

3 - Is it possible to make a 'News' - section where every club has its own "blog"?

This one could be done one of two ways that I can see.

a.) If you'd like the "blogs" to be complete sites of their own, with their own independent website theme, you'll likely want to use Wordpress' multisite feature.
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/wpmu-manual/creating-a-network-to-enable-wordpress-multisite/
    (There's actually a plugin for the above that may make setup much easier)

b.) If not, you could use a combination of Buddypress and the Buddypress Group Blogs plugin.
    http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/bp-groupblog/

To get the News on the homepage effect, you could use widgets that either display sitewide news (in the case of multisite) or simply display Buddypress group news in a widget.

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

4 - How do i make the front page like this:
    - A slider with different pictures.
    - Some news below the slider that updates when a Club s post news in its own news-section.

I believe the second part of this inquiry is taken care of in the previous response. To get that slider the way you want it to look, simply navigate in your admin area to Appearance > Theme Options and locate the Homepage settings.

You'll want to setup a category from which the slider will choose posts to display. The images from these individual posts are what the slider uses for its image displays.

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

2) In this community the members are students and the Groups are Clubs (student-clubs). I would like every Group to be a club, but i dont want members to be able to create groups..is this possible? How do i do this?

I believe our Membership plugin can do the job of restricting the ability for members to create groups.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/membership

There's a special Membership rule for this scenario and you can create, let's say, a Student level as well as a Club Leader level of membership, and you can place the Group Creation rule in the negative rule area of the Student level and that same Group Creation rule in the positive rules area of the Club Leader level.

From there you can make sure your students all have the Student membership level added to them and that the club leaders all have the Club Leader membership level added to them.

If this sounds at all daunting, please simply ask for clarification and I'll see how I can better illustrate it, perhaps even with a video walk-through. :slight_smile:

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

5) Last I wanna put a menu named 'Pics' - Here i want albums (like a pile with fotos) from various dates when clubs have been taken som photos. How do i do this? Also is it possible for "tags" in the pics?

For the setup of the 'Pics' menu item please refer to the first response.

The photo albums can be achieved using any number of means that really depend on how you'd like your site to work as a whole. You could potentially have the photo albums setup on separate sites in which case you'll want to use a sitewide post plugin to integrate all of them in the homepage.

If you'd prefer to use Buddypress you can use any one of the Buddypress media plugins to allow members to store their photos as well as display them in albums on your site.

Let me know how you'd like it to be done and we can see what kinds of solutions we can come up with. You can also just let me know if you need clarification on anything and I'll try and explain it better, perhaps with video walk-throughs.

Cheers,
    David

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hello nationsvimmel,

This thread has been lingering a few days. What I'm going to do is mark this thread as resolved but if you have any questions at all on the above, please just open a new thread on a single issue basis and I'll be sure to get it checked out!

Cheers,
    David

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.