Changing categories to gobal categories?

Hi,

On the theme in the siderbar, I want the Global categories and not the Categories just for that site, I've tried everything I can think of, but just can't get it to work.

Any help would be much appreicated.

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi,

Yeah I have done that, but I'd rather just that, as it's wordpress multi site install, I won't be selling anything myself, so it just appears with no categories. Is there a way I can have just Global categories?

I was thinking of just removing the php for the categories, than putting in the sidebar widget, but I'm not sure.

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Ah okay so you want to remove the standard widgets from the sidebar?

To do this, you will need to edit sidebar.php. I've had a look at it myself and can't be certain exactly which pieces to edit so I'll ask the developer to provide guidance on that.

Phil

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi,

Yeah, but I only want to remove categories and add global categories or just edit categories so that it displays global categories, I looked around the sidebar.php yesterday when I was trying to figure this out and it just didn't seem to work correctly for some reason.

• Tammie
    • WordPress Wizard

I'm not really understanding the issue if you remove this:

<?php if ( class_exists( 'MarketPress' ) ) {
    								?>
    												<h3 class="widgettitle"><?php _e('Categories', TEMPLATE_DOMAIN); ?></h3>
    												<div class="widget">
    								<?php framemarket_mp_list_categories(); ?>
    								</div>

<h3 class="widgettitle"><?php _e('Popular Products', TEMPLATE_DOMAIN); ?></h3>
    										<div class="widget">
    						<?php mp_popular_products(); ?>
    						</div>
    										<h3 class="widgettitle"><?php _e('Tag Cloud', TEMPLATE_DOMAIN); ?></h3>
    										<div class="widget">
    						<?php mp_tag_cloud(); ?>
    						</div>
    						<?php
    					}
    					?>

In sidebar.php you can put any code you want in there.

If the issue is what you've added isn't working that's another issue so please paste it but this doesn't on surface seem related to theme but what you are adding?

• Tammie
    • WordPress Wizard

You'd need to create your own function for that or grab some code from MarketPress it's not build into the theme.

You perhaps can use: mp_global_categories_list() but that's from MarketPress.

In MarketPress you will see a list of functions under marketpress/marketpress-includes/templatefunctions.php and also under (same directory) themes/Themeing_MarketPress.txt - there are various things you can use in themes.

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya,

As we haven't heard back from you we're going to assume the problem
    was sorted out and mark this ticket as resolved.

If it wasn't resolved, or you have any more questions related to this
    thread please feel free to post them below and tick the 'Mark as Not
    Resolved (re-open)' box below the post area (or else we'll miss it!)

Otherwise, thanks for using the forums, and for being a member of WPMU
    DEV, it's a pleasure to help you out and we look forward to being of
    assistance in the future.

Thanks!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.