Changing Default Gateway in Membership

Hi
How can I change the default gateway from 'admin' to 'PayPalExpress' ?

When a user registers on the site and creates a Free account they're assigned to the 'admin' gateway by default which means they can't upgrade. If I manually assign the user to the PayPalExpress gateway after they've registered then the user can upgrade immediately. So how do I make all new users default to PayPalExpress?

Cheers

• rooze
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Thanks Barry,

I've gone round in so many circles with this.

I don't see how a subscription is tied to a specific gateway?

My setup is

LEVELS
    Visitor
    Free Basic Membership
    Premium Paid1
    Premium Paid2

SUBSCRIPTIONS
    Visitor
    Free Basic Membership
    Premium Paid1
    Premium Paid2

ACTIVE GATEWAYS
    Free Subscriptions
    PayPal Express - with Subscriptions

IN OPTIONS
    Stranger is set to Visitor
    User Reg to Free Basic Membership

All signups are though the website register pages, not from admin. All signups for Free Basic Membership default to 'Admin' Gateway. What do I need to change?

Also another issue that's driving me nuts -
    I have Global Tables set to TRUE - Repair tables status shows everything OK.
    I have the member plugin Network activated
    When a visitor registers at the site and logs-in, then hovers over 'my blogs' on the BP toolbar, they've been assigned to three network blogs, seemingly arbitrarily?? - So there are around 30 blogs on the Network and a new user is assigned to three of them, the same three for each new user that signs up - I can't think where to go looking for that :slight_smile:
    The only other clues I can think to offer is that I do have Multisite User Management plugin installed and network activated and I am running BP network activated.

I may be too old to be a 'techy' :slight_smile:

Cheers

Rooze

• rooze

Extremely frustrating. Project on hold now for 2+ days. Please tell me how to get the new signups to have PayPal express as the default gateway so they have an immediate upgrade path. If it is not possible please just say so, so that I can move on.

• rooze

Day 5

- please tell me how to have new signups default to "PayPal express gateway with Subscriptions" when both the "Free Subscriptions" and "PayPal express gateway with Subscriptions" are concurrently active.

This allows an upgrade path. Otherwise people signing up for Free, default to 'admin' gateway and have no upgrade path without Super Admin manual intervention

There's a file in memberships/includes called default.gateways.php but it's empty.

Please, please help.

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi rooze,

Sorry for the delay here. As Barry mentioned, when a user selects a subscription, they should automatically be tied to the gateway that subscription belongs to.

I'm wondering though, are your paid subscription members properly getting a paid gateway tied to them?

Regarding the arbitrary blog signups, do you have a plugin running that specifies which blogs users get added to upon signup?

Thanks,
    David

• rooze

Thanks David,
    "they should automatically be tied to the gateway that subscription belongs to."

But per my Aug 24 post, I don't see how to assign a gateway to a specific subscription??

I have two active Gateways, Free and "PP Express Subscription"

But when a visitor registers for Free Membership, they're automatically assigned to a Gateway which shows up as 'Admin'.....This is the issue I've been ranting about :slight_smile:

Once they're assigned to Admin (by default) they can't upgrade their account. If I could set the default gateway to PPExSub then they'd have the option to upgrade.

So where does that 'Admin' gateway come from and how do I change how they're assigned?

Cheers

Rooze

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi Rooze,

Membership automatically figures the needed gateways based on your specifications in the subscriptions. If your Free subscription does not have any monetary specification to it, then it should automatically be associated with the Free gateway.

For that matter, could you maybe provide a screenshot of the settings for that free subscription?

Thanks,
    David

• rooze

Here are my settings for free membership. I'm just trying to give people an upgrade path from Free to Premium or Premium Plus, which they presently do not have.
    I see other people on this forum talking about the same thing but I haven't found a/their solution. If there were a way to assign subscriptions with Gateways as I've been whining about for a couple weeks, that would be one solution. If there's another, please let me know before I jump in the lake.

Cheers

Rooze

• rooze

And so this is the problem.

When a person registers for FREE they are assigned to the Gateway 'admin'. Which means their upgrade path is stalled.....if they click 'Upgrade Account'...there's nowhere for them to go..... unless superadmin logs in and changes their gateway to PPEXpressSubs manually

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Thank Rooze, for all the details, it really does help here.

For the Free subscription, could you please try removing the premium membership levels from that section, leaving only the Free level, then specifying the Mode as Infinite?

I believe that will cause the Free gateway option to show in the front-end form.

Just to clarify one other thing, Membership handles the upgrade options automatically, so you wouldn't need to describe the upgrade path in the subscription setup. It'll handle that on its own.

Thanks,
    David

• rooze

Thanks David,

Just a point - Free option shows up in the signup form along with all the others. That's not an issue.

So I did as you suggested above and removed the Premium and set to indef.

Then create a new user - selected FREE membership.

Then logged-in and clicked Account -

This is the screen.....again...no upgrade option is present....

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Sorry, I lost this one in my email notifications.

Here are my settings for free membership. I'm just trying to give people an upgrade path from Free to Premium or Premium Plus, which they presently do not have.

In the current version of the plugin, with the free and paypal express gateways activated there isn't a way to move between the two. If you need there to be, have an experiment with only use the PayPal single gateway as that can handle both free and paid subscriptions.

The subscription for a member should be automatically assigned the gateway they signed up with, so if they signed up with paypalexpress then they are set with that, if they signed up with free they should be assigned that - I'm not sure why they are being linked to the admin gateway - that's the default for when the plugin doesn't know how a user signed up, or the subscription was created on the admin side of the system.

The reason it assigns the user gateway is because you could have more than one gateway per susbcription available - i.e. Sign up for subscription 1 by using paypal or 2co - then the user will be linked directly with that gateway for the duration of their subscription.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.