Changing Hosting Providers

I am going to need to move my Wordpress (Buddypress Multisite) away from my current hosting provider to a more commercial host.

I live in Australia and I am tossing up between Amazon and a local provider. Does anyone have any thoughts, opinions, experience?

Thanks!

• aecnu

Greetings Broniors,

Does anyone have any thoughts, opinions, experience?

I am happy that you asked! Sure I have an opinion, my hosting is the best of all available choices:
    http://wpmu-hosting.org/

Though I was serious about my perspective above, there are other things to consider.

What is your guesstimated market or your target market? Just Australia or Global?

This will be the biggest factor that should be determining your decision.

If local then an Australian IP would serve you best therefore an Australian hosting company, if global then a host in the IP range that would be targeted at the largest part of your estimated market.

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• James Dunn

Goodday Broniors.

As Joe and any others that have read posts from me in this forum and others as well, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE AmazonS3 for most applications (and the entire Amazon suite). However, hosting a WP installation on Amazon has proven unfruitful for me. I tried to set it up for one of my clients sites because he was throwing soooooooo much traffic at the server sometimes that he was rooting out other customers on the site. However, trying to set up WordPress on Amazon is no straightforward and easy task. It can be done (or so I've read and been told), but it's not very intuitive. I worked on it almost a week and then just backed away from it. I figured I needed a life rather than pull my hair out of Amazon hosting of WordPress.

Someone - either her or in another forum - posted a simple way of putting WordPress on Amazon, but I never tried it out personally. Regardless, even those instructions seemed a bit complex.

Also, I would echo what Joe stated above regarding "where" your hosting should "live". It would certainly depend upon your location and where your visitors reside. Even if I lived in Australia, but the majority of my visitors lived in the US, then I would consider hosting that was based in the US (even if the owner of that hosting resided elsewhere). Why? Because if your hosting is in Europe and your visitors are primarily from the US, then your website speed is restricted by that "pipe" under the ocean from Europe to the US. Likewise, if your ideal visitor is in Europe and you hosting is in the US, you will experience slower than necessary website load and reaction times. This is one of those facts that many hosting companies neglect to make you aware of.

Now, if that "pipe" under the ocean was fully "turned on" this would not be such an issue, but currently hosting internationally is better done with mirror servers (a whole different ballgame).

Hope you find both our answers helpful.

James Dunn
    Athens, GA USA

• James Dunn

Good point Joe.

That's something that I've read several times in my study of hosting, search, etc but I seem to forget it. I don't know if it's because it seems so insignificant or if it just hasn't sunk in fully yet. Regardless, it's usually the last thing I think of.

So now, we've got several things to think about when deciding on hosting services - our own location, the location of our ideal clients, the physical location of the servers, plus all the technical details of the server itself. Did I miss anything from that list?

Hope everyone has a great weekend.

James Dunn
    Athens, GA USA

• Moonworks

Blimey, a lengthy list, but it is made easier once you decide where the majority of your users will be.

So wherever you are aiming for, it is best to use a host with servers there.

Of course, now that has been made more simple, you will need to know where the servers are and not the host :o)

For example, I am in the UK acting as a reseller for a UK company with servers here. But f I was a reseller with HostGator, I could be a UK company with servers in the US. So it is more important to know the location of the servers for all of the above comments than it is to know the location of the host.

If I haven't confused you enough Broniors, please let me know, and I'll try harder :o)

• aecnu

Greetings Broniors, Joe, and JDD,

Thank you all for your input everyone, it is greatly appreciated as always.

Being too picky can also get you nowhere really quick and as I mentioned in my first post the most important thing is what is the market you are after. local market or global market.

Because adding to the choices of location nobody mentioned the language divide too.

Therefore if you are local with a Pizza shop then the language barrier becomes irrelevant.

If you are global then you want a native English speaking country IP and the biggest English speaking market in the world is the US.

If you are global and in Chinese, well of course China or Hong Kong.

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.