Changing IP later, while using Domain Mapping

Hello, my question seems similar to some but I cannot really find the variable being asked that I'm looking for...

I have a dedicated IP address, the thing is I use it for another website,non-mu... Which I planned on using for a while, for my multisite, w/domain mapping for my customers/sites etc..

So, once I get things started and a few customers I planned on moving to a new host, with a new, dedicated IP...

What I'm getting at is, if my clients use their own domains, and they had already updated their A Records with my IP, what happens when I change IP address's, do I have to notify all my customers to update their A record to the new IP?

Thanks!

• Tyler Postle

Hey Chris,

Hope you're doing well today!

Yes, that's exactly what you will have to do. The domain must be pointed to your dedicated IP, otherwise it won't know where your installation is.

Perhaps send out an mass email to your clients when you switch over. It would likely be a good idea to have the site live in both locations for a bit of overlap, that way clients sites who don't change the A record right away will still have their site up.

Hope this helps! Let us know if you have any further questions here.

All the best,
    Tyler

• Chris

Thanks for the quick reply!

Some followups then, how would I have a site live in 2 locations while maintaining any changes done to 1 site by a site-owner, on 1 ip, and synching with the other (copy?) on the new dedicated ip?

As for scaling and performance, would there be any concerns over using just 1 ip for all sites? If a client wants to get their own dedicated ip is there some way to do that?

And what about jerks? and by that i mean what if the IP gets black listed somehow, what are the precautions I would take to prevent this besides the obvious, such as monitor my sites for spam, use anti-splog... etc.

Thanks again!

• aristath

Hello again @Chris, I hope you're well today!

Some followups then, how would I have a site live in 2 locations while maintaining any changes done to 1 site by a site-owner, on 1 ip, and synching with the other (copy?) on the new dedicated ip?

You could (though not recommended) use 1 database server using the instructions here: http://codex.wordpress.org/Running_a_Development_Copy_of_WordPress#Two_WordPresses.2C_One_Database
    This way you'll be able to have 2 separate codebases on 2 separate servers, and use 1 database server for both.
    Please note that this will only sync database, you will still have to find another way to sync uploaded files etc.

As for scaling and performance, would there be any concerns over using just 1 ip for all sites? If a client wants to get their own dedicated ip is there some way to do that?

1 IP can have thousands of sites, there's no problem there.
    Why would any of your users want a dedicated IP for their site? I don't think that's even possible!

And what about jerks? and by that i mean what if the IP gets black listed somehow, what are the precautions I would take to prevent this besides the obvious, such as monitor my sites for spam, use anti-splog... etc.

Other than the obvious there's nothing you can do! prevention is the only way to go. :slight_smile:
    If however things go really wrong and evil prevails then it's a simple matter of deleting the spam and then emailing the service that banned you so that they may whitelist you again.

I hope that helps!

Cheers,
    Ari.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.