Changing my site, would like some opinions/feedback

Hello friends!
I have been contemplating switching my website from a single install to multi site. I would like to offer users the ability to host through subdomains or their own domain. I did try this once before but I see the multisite pro plugin has been updated a lot.

I have some questions and maybe the community can help me out with this.

(1st question) – Is it possible to have a central registration page/sign up page at a subdomain account.mydomain.com? I’d like users to be able to register on my “network” and have access to any site they want but I would like for any sign up/register/login to go through this subdomain. I’d ideally like this subdomain to be only for account registration/login request and it would redirect the user to the previous site that they logged in from. If that’s not practical, then I would like it to direct them to a user dashboard – not the WP-Admin dashboard. I would ideally like to make it customized (like here at WPMUDEV does) if possible.

(2nd question) – Is it possible with the bp multi site plugin to have separate buddypress instances? So for example: Site A has buddypress installed and user accounts. Site B has buddypress installed and user accounts. On Site A , I make a comment on an article and it shows up in my activity. On Site B, that activity on Site A isn’t in my activity wall. Does it work like this?

If I think of any more questions, I'll post. Thanks in advance for the suggestions/feedback.

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Joshua,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your questions!

You mentioned a "multisite pro" plugin at the beginning of your post and I admit I'm not sure which plugin do you mean: a Pro Sites or a Membership 2 Pro or something else. Could you please clear that up for me as some part of the response may be different depending on which one that would be :slight_smile:

(1st question) – Is it possible to have a central registration page/sign up page at a subdomain account.mydomain.com? I’d like users to be able to register on my “network” and have access to any site they want but I would like for any sign up/register/login to go through this subdomain. I’d ideally like this subdomain to be only for account registration/login request and it would redirect the user to the previous site that they logged in from. If that’s not practical, then I would like it to direct them to a user dashboard – not the WP-Admin dashboard. I would ideally like to make it customized (like here at WPMUDEV does) if possible.

In general, that would be possible if it comes to user registration though it may require some additional plugin and configuration. For Pro Sites plugin (that handles new site creation and billings for you) that's not possible as it has to work on a main site. With Membership 2 Pro that may or may not be possible depending on how the Membership 2 Pro is configured on the site and how it should work in particular (the Membership 2 Pro plugin, not the registration itself).

Redirects could be set also with either an additional plugin or some custom code but again - that depends on the details of the setup and plugins that are used (hence my question at the beginning).

(2nd question) – Is it possible with the bp multi site plugin to have separate buddypress instances? So for example: Site A has buddypress installed and user accounts. Site B has buddypress installed and user accounts. On Site A , I make a comment on an article and it shows up in my activity. On Site B, that activity on Site A isn’t in my activity wall. Does it work like this?

BuddyPress doesn't work like that by default. On Multisite the BuddyPress will always be a "centralized" though it can work in a different modes: the "default" when all the BP content (like profiles, activity etc) can only be viewed on a main site. It's available for users of every site in the network but they are redirected to e.g. "mainsite.com/members/username" instead of "subsite.mainsite.com/members/username".

The other mode is "MULTIBLOG" that you can enable by adding

define('BP_ENABLE_MULTIBLOG', true);

to the "wp-config.php" of your install. The difference here though is that BP content (profiles etc) are available directly from sub-site the user is logged in. That doesn't separate BuddyPress instances though. Take a look here please:

https://codex.buddypress.org/getting-started/customizing/bp_enable_multiblog/

Best regards,
    Adam

• Joshua

Hi Adam Czajczyk,

Thanks for the information. I did mean the WPMUDEV Pro Sites plugin. I'd like to structure the website like this:

http://maindomain.com
      http://account.domain.com - all user account information on the network
      http://support.domain.com - support information for people who have sites on the network

If it isn't possible for Pro Sites to control the new domain creation/billing then I suppose a work around would be for the http://account.domain.com could have links to the Pro Sites plugin so users can upgrade/pay etc. It kind of sucks that it can't work on a subdomain as it would be perfect on the account subdomain.

In regards to Buddypress, will it work on separate domains in terms of user activity? I suppose what I mean is if I'm on Site A, my activity information on Site A will remain in Site A's activity stream. If I go to Site B, that I'm a member of, my activity on Site A won't show up on Site B? Sorry for the questions, trying to figure out how it works as I'd like to offer it as a plugin on the multi site.

Thanks for your help/feedback.

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Joshua,

Setup you're looking for is quite specific one and it doesn't quite follow hierarchy of WP multisite where main site is inital place for user data.

New site registration via Pro Sites can only be done on main site since when you register user on network (not on existing subsite) it has to be registered on main site as that's the site that handles network registrations.

Because of network user data being stored in one place it will cause BP activity to show entire network activity not only activity on current subsite.

All in all, this kind of setup goes beyond what multisite is designed for and I believe that it would require quite some custom development to make it work this way.

Oh, I also forgot. When a user signs up for an account, in multisite it gives them the option to create a new site or an account. I would like to remove this option in the user registration as I want to create a page specifically for a user who wants to make their own site on the multi site network. Hopefully this is possible.

I'm not sure that I understand this part completely, what exactly are you looking to remove, site registration?
    If that's the case I'm afraid that this is not possible out of the box as the Pro Sites takes over default registration process.
    If I missed the question please provide some additional info about this :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Predrag

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.