Changing over to Spirit theme, What steps should I take to convert over my existing site?

Hello Support Team,

This week I have a new challenge, I just started using WPMU DEV & I'm happy with your service.

So now, something different. I used WPMU DEV on two new sites. No problems so far, happy with the results so far.
On the other two sites I decided to keep my existing X-theme.

I've decided to use your Spirit theme for this site wildcharm.net.

I installed the theme & activated. However, I noticed it created new pages & setup an entirely new website. I had to roll-back to the Kippis theme for now.

That said, How can I change my current Kippis Theme to the Spirit Theme? Will I have to create a child theme?.

I just need some clarity on how to proceed.

Thank you very much for your assistance.
Stew

Michael Bissett

Hey @Stewart, hope you're doing well this evening!

However, I noticed it created new pages & setup an entirely new website.

By default, Spirit sets up demo content on the site, just to give you an idea of how things can look. If you were to open the Upfront editor (by clicking on the "Upfront" menu item in the admin bar), you can edit the various parts of the site.

For example, you could remove the content on the home page, and replace it with content of your own, using the various elements inside of Upfront. You can also edit the menu on the page, choosing a custom menu of your own.

Have you had a look at the guide for Upfront inside the usage page? If not, I'd have a peek at that quick, you'll find it by clicking on the "Usage" tab there:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/spirit/

Hope this helps, let me know if I can be of further assistance here please!

Kind Regards,
    Michael

Stewart

I just attempted to use you Spirit theme again.

So far I'm happy I decided to keep my exisiting themes on the other sites.
    I find it very difficult to edit the theme.
    I tried to just change the menu to my old menu already listed in Menu's but was unable to replace the menu on Spirit. Is there another theme you support that works like a regular child theme. Not some beef-up useless front/top/whatever editor.
    I see I can select my pages but that useless, Header image can be replaced, I'd rather do that on the page. I can select what pages to show I believe, the formatting is all too cramp.

I would like to just switch over to a new theme, make sure I have the same sidebar info & widget info. The blog page as the main page, you know simple wordpress stuff.
    I've been happy with WPMUDEV but your spirit theme has left a bad taste in my mouth. Definitely an F right now.

Stewart

SHOULD I FORGET ABOUT USING WPMUDEV FOR THEMES?

NOT MUCH INFORMATION PROVIDING EITHER
    NOT LOOKING FOR A DRAG & DROP
    I enjoy getting dirty, mostly use text instead of visual.

Spirit is powered by our revolutionary ‘Upfront’ WordPress theme platform.
    It’s incredibly easy to use – and there are two ways to get started.
    1. Install ‘Spirit’ via the WPMU DEV Dashboard, then activate it.
    or…
    2. Download ‘Spirit’ and ‘Upfront’ itself separately (‘Upfront’ is a parent theme and ‘Spirit’ is a child theme – see the wordpress.org codex for more info about child themes) -
    WHERE ARE THE LINKS TO DOWNLOAD?
    Then activate ‘Spirit’ in the usual way. Not too bad either!
    If you want to try out the theme first while retaining your current design we highly recommend using the Theme Tester plugin.
    Once you have activated the theme all you have to do is visit either your Appearance>Customize menu item or click on ‘Upfront’ in your WP admin bar.
    Upfront Admin Bar
    Once you are there you’ll see the Upfront sidebar and be able to easily edit and manage your entire site… go double click on text, resize stuff, drag and drop things around… we reckon you’ll like it
    And to help you out more we’ve put together a simple pdf to introduce some Upfront concepts – click here to download it.
    We hope you enjoy using Spirit and Upfront as much as we enjoy brining it to you!
    NO, IT'S BEEN A PAIN.

Customization
    Take complete control over colors, fonts, styles, images, videos and content - in just a few clicks.

Responsive
    Upfront makes it easy to edit the responsive view of your site in any devices, from big tablets to tiny phones.
    I was referred to the following link: I need more information
    Elements
    Sliders, galleries, maps, social, videos, contact forms, buttons, menus, widgets, code, posts, login, tabs & more.

Spirit Features
    You won't believe what you can accomplish with SpiriT

DavidM

Hi Stewart,

Thanks so much for your replies and feedback here. I'm very sorry to hear you've found the theme at all to your disliking but we do hear you and the developers are continually working to hone the experience and make it the best possible for you.

Right now, widgets would be added on a per-widget basis with the widget element.

To help clarify too, you're not required to use Upfront to manage your site. You can still create posts, pages and other content the same way you would normally in WordPress. They'll all follow a default layout. But you can customize each of those using the theme as well.

Was it mainly the widget/sidebars you were concerned with though?

As for a knowledge-based, we're working toward getting you all the documentation needed. One of the core concerns is to make the theme as intuitive as possible so no further docs are needed. If there are other things you find non-intuitive, we'd love to hear you out on them.

I'll mention more through the email you sent too, really hoping we can get this sorted out to where you're totally happy with this.

Cheers,
    David

Stewart

Thanks David for the kind words & info. I researched as much as I could these last two days.
    I apologize for my tone of voice, frustation from the lack of knowledge using the GUI.

Later tonight I will put up an underconstruction page, and attempt to use the Spirit theme again.
    With the bits & pieces I picked up from the different discussion on the forum. I believe I have a better idea on how to proceed. It's 4:20 right now, I'll be getting started at 10pm pacific time tonight.

I look forward to successfully switching over to Spirit.

Yes, having a left & right side bar would be ideal. If you have a knowledge base article that explains how to achieve this layout. I would appreciate a link to it or any information that would help before I get started.
    I'll be recording parts of my work tonight. So, I can post somewhat of a video guide on here.

Wish me luck!

Best Regards,
    Stew

Michael Bissett

Hey @Stewart!

Just wanted to check in here, and let you know that we've got some articles published on the blog regarding the use of Upfront, in case you were interested:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/upfront-basics/
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/upfront-regions/
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/upfront-elements/

Were you able to get that video guide of yours recorded?

Kind Regards,
    Michael