Changing the billing options and some other Q's

Hi Guys,
I am looking at setting up pro sites and before I do I was wanting to know a couple of things.
Firstly I have read this post....
https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/monetize-your-wordpress-multisite-network-with-the-wpmu-dev-pro-sites-plugin/

What I would like to know first off is can I change the billing options?
Currently I see there are 1, 3 and 12 month subscription plans, can I change these to something like...

One time patment of W then after 12 months a anual fee of Z
6 monthy payments of X then after 12 months a anual fee of Z
12 monthly payments of Y then after 12 months a anual fee of Z

I was also wanting to give away sites, but charge the 12 months anual fee of Z, I was thinking of using the coupon code for this rather than creating a new level, do you think this would be ok?

Any upgrades or acces to pro features can be a monthly subscription I guess, but what if I wanted to give my users the option to buy the upgrades without the monthly fee?

Hope this makes sense, look forward to your feedback.
J

Oh, yeah, I already have a clients site up and running so I will also need to know how I can keep his site online while I set this up.

Ta

• Timothy Bowers

Hey jeremyyoung

One time patment of W then after 12 months a anual fee of Z
    6 monthy payments of X then after 12 months a anual fee of Z
    12 monthly payments of Y then after 12 months a anual fee of Z

Sorry that is not currently possible.

Although saying that you could generate a coupon and hand that out. So if you charged $100 per year, the coupon could be 50% off. In that case the first year would be $50 and then after that it would be the full price.

I was also wanting to give away sites, but charge the 12 months anual fee of Z, I was thinking of using the coupon code for this rather than creating a new level, do you think this would be ok?

I'm not sure I understand.... You want to give them away but charge?

Or you mean a one off fee and then never charge again?

You could set up a level for that, but you would need to manually give them a permanent status. So it would not be totally automated.

Any upgrades or acces to pro features can be a monthly subscription I guess, but what if I wanted to give my users the option to buy the upgrades without the monthly fee?

There are currently no addons, bolt ons. Its only done through levels. You could make that a feature request though and I'm sure other members would love that. I think it would be real cool.

Oh, yeah, I already have a clients site up and running so I will also need to know how I can keep his site online while I set this up.

Not sure how you mean?

You mean you want to give him a level?

If so then he would need to sign up in order to create that subscription in Paypal/Stripe. If he doesn't then his site will expire unless you manually extend it.

If you have any further questions then please just let us know.

Take care.

• jeremyyoung

Hi Timothy,
    thanks for the quick reply and sorry if I failed to explain this clearly.
    Based on some of your answers I might need to rethink how I am going to charge my clients for their websites.
    What I was wanting, was to sell websites to local small business and give them 3 payment options.
    If they paid in full and up front they would get the first years hosting for free but have to pay an annual fee every year after, which is what I meant when I said "One time payment of W then after 12 months a annual fee of Z" Z = annual hosting fee.
    When I said "6 monthly payments of X then after 12 months a annual fee of Z" Z = annual hosting fee. they would be able to pay the website over a 6 month period for the first year which would include their hosting fee and in the second year only pay for hosting.
    and the same would apply for the 12 month payment option, for the first year they would make monthly payments and in the second year they would only pay for hosting.
    I am not sure the coupon code would work for this scenario?

I was also thinking of running promotional offers where I would set up a website for the cost of the yearly hosting fee, so in a sense they would be paying a minimum cost to have their website online each year, that was what I had in mind when I wrote "I was also wanting to give away sites, but charge the 12 months anual fee of Z," Z = annual hosting fee.

There are currently no addons, bolt ons. Its only done through levels. You could make that a feature request though and I'm sure other members would love that. I think it would be real cool.

Ok I think I am starting to see how this all works. My clients can't upgrade their sites based on individual needs that they may need, they can only "buy the pack" based on what they think they need so to speak.
    for example, basic user gets domain mapping, 1 email, 100mb storage 6 plugins and farms themes.
    medium user gets all of the above plus 5 premium themes and a shopping cart.
    Top level gets all of the above plus unlimited premium themes and plugins, etc... all for a monthly fee instead of any one time payment options.
    Different to what I had in mind, but obviously will work.

I have already set up a site for a client, I had to get his site up and running prior to setting all of this up, but he doesn't want to use PayPal so I will need to arrange some other payment option for him and others who won't use PP.
    What I was referring to though, is I will need to get all of this set up without his site going offline until he pays me, once I have all of this set up I will obviously be sending him an invoice, and if he doesn't pay his site will go offline but the agreement I made was I would get him online first then figure all this out.

To summarize,
    can I only sell websites based on a monthly subscription basis?
    Can I set up Pro Sites without interrupting the sites already set up in my WP MS set up?
    thanks
    J

• Timothy Bowers

Hey again jeremyyoung :slight_smile:

If you are looking for greater flexibility in terms of billing then you might like to consider WHMCS, this is a billing, customer support and hosting platform. It integrates with cPanel and many other platforms. Well we recently released our provisioning plugin:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/whmcs-multisite-provisioning

This plugin allows WHMCS to provision websites within WordPress Multisite.

Later we plan to integrate this with Pro Sites so you will also be able to offer those premium themes and plugins as well.

With WHMCS you can set billing dates to when you wish, add late fees, offer coupons and much much more. It might not do all you need but they have a 30 day trial you can play with.

I will say its not the easiest to use but at the same time its not complex either although when you first come to use it, there are a lot of things to play with.

Ok I think I am starting to see how this all works. My clients can't upgrade their sites based on individual needs that they may need, they can only "buy the pack" based on what they think they need so to speak.
    for example, basic user gets domain mapping, 1 email, 100mb storage 6 plugins and farms themes.
    medium user gets all of the above plus 5 premium themes and a shopping cart.
    Top level gets all of the above plus unlimited premium themes and plugins, etc... all for a monthly fee instead of any one time payment options.
    Different to what I had in mind, but obviously will work.

Ya pretty much, but you can't offer email with Pro Sites.

If you use WHMC then you could I suppose, you could alter the MX Records to offer email on a server of yours, or tie them into gmail.

I have already set up a site for a client, I had to get his site up and running prior to setting all of this up, but he doesn't want to use PayPal so I will need to arrange some other payment option for him and others who won't use PP.

Pro Sites will only let you use one gateway at a time currently.

WHMCS on the other hand has a ton of gateways you can use. You can use as many at the same time as you wish.

I use Google Checkout, Paypal and Manual Payments although two of those can only be used if I let them have that payment method. (special customers)

WHMCS will also handle the billing for you.

can I only sell websites based on a monthly subscription basis?

Monthly, three monthly or yearly.

Can I set up Pro Sites without interrupting the sites already set up in my WP MS set up?

You can manually activate themes and plugins for sites, that overrides Pro sites. But Pro Sites might impose other restrictions like pay to blog unless you assign those sites a Pro Site Level. You can make that a permanent level if you wished.

Hope this helps. :slight_smile:

Take care.

• aecnu

Greetings jeremyyoung,

Just checking if this issue was eventually resolved in another thread? Or by yourself separately to us? Or by us over email with you? Or using our live support?

If so, no need to reply, that's great news.

If not, or you have any more questions related to this thread, please feel free to post them below including any new symptoms or errors and tick the 'Mark as Not Resolved (re-open)' box below the post area (or else we'll miss it!)

Otherwise, happy days, glad you got it sorted :slight_smile:

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev member!

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.