Changing Theme while site is active

Hi All,

OK, so I now finally recognize that Minimaze was a bad idea for my theme. It was necessary at the time, due to deficiencies in WPMU Dev themes, but your new themes look like they may work for my site.

First question: We have a CMS and are primarily using WIKI Pro. Currently have over 1500 wikis, which will eventually grow to many thousands (the plan). Which one of the new Premium WPMU Dev themes do you believe will be best for a CMS? PLEASE give this some thought before replying, as I will commit to that theme based upon your suggestion.

2nd question: HOW can I set the new theme home page up, similar our existing home page, while the site is still active (without 'breaking' it while I work)?
There are several considerations that must be made about this:
1. current theme, Minimaze, has several custom CSS strings for fonts and colors
2. we have a 'Static' Home page. The WPMU Dev Theme must support this.
3. The WPMU Dev theme MUST support Chrome, Firefox, IE, Android, I-phone, etc. In other words, it must be able to handle all types of devices and browsers seamlessly.

Please advise. This is important.

Thank you in advance.

Mary :slight_smile:

• Nastia

Hello Mary

I hope you are doing well today!

I can suggest to try out the Fixer or the Panino Upfront themes. At the current time their stylesheet is more ready for the Wiki Pro plugin.

Please note that the Wiki Pro uses a virtual page to show the wiki archive, something that Upfront theme does not support yet. So you will be able to view the wiki archive only if you assing one global category to all wikis, and view the wiki's category page:
    site.com/wiki/categories/Global-category/

HOW can I set the new theme home page up, similar our existing home page, while the site is still active (without 'breaking' it while I work)?

The best choice here is to create a staging site and make all the changes there and once you ready, migrate the site to live. This way you minimize the risk for your live site to break.

You can migrate your site using the Snapshot plugin

For minimizing the theme, you can try the Hummingbird plugin.

The Upfront uses Presets, where you can add CSS code for each element separetly.

Upfront does have a home page as a static page. Although, once you enable the theme, you should make changes on the current Upfront home page, and not creating a new one. For the reason that in Upfront the home page can't be assigned.

The Upfront theme supports all browsers and all devices. You can even create a different mobile version from your desktop site.

You can try the Upfront Live here:
    http://demo.upfront.pro/

Let us know if you have further questions!

Cheers,
    Nastia

• Mary

Nastia,

Thanks for the prompt reply. I'm not sure what you mean when you said " Wiki Pro uses a virtual page to show the wiki archive".

Then, the next sentence "So you will be able to view the wiki archive only if you assing one global category to all wikis, and view the wiki's category page:" isn't specific enough for me to understand the scope of what you are saying.

Am I understanding you correctly by thinking you said something like "all wikis must have the same category?". Cause if you are saying that, there is absolutely no way I can do that. We have 1 top level category, "Skydiving". There are 25 - 2nd level categories. Under each 2nd level category are anywhere from 2 to 30 3rd level categories. Most Wiki's are loaded to those 3rd level categories.

It is VERY important that I don't lose the almost 2 years of work I have in the setup of the categories, sub-categories, and children of those sub-categories just by changing to another theme. IF Upfront themes don't work well with Wiki Pro, then perhaps you shouldn't be recommending them.

My original question remains: We have a CMS and are primarily using WIKI Pro. Currently have over 1500 wikis, which will eventually grow to many thousands (the plan). Which one of the new Premium WPMU Dev themes do you believe will be best for a CMS? Note: We are not a blog.

We are the skydiving-encyclopedia.com . Please go to the site as a user. You don't have to register to view most of the contents. Click TABLE OF CONTENTS from the HOME page. You will see the structure of the site. That structure represents all the categories. Click a category or sub-category. It will either give you a list of other sub-categories, or a list of Wikis under it.

Whatever WPMU Dev Theme I use must support the existing functionality. The Theme MUST work well with Wiki Pro.

If you aren't very familiar with the "inner workings" of Wiki Pro, can you please pass this Support Request to someone who is very well versed in it?

Thank you very much.

Mary :slight_smile:

• Nastia

Hello Mary

Wiki Pro uses a virtual page to show the wiki archive

A virtual page doesn't store content in the database, the specific page that shows the wiki archive is built as a virtual one. for now, Upfront doesn't support virtual pages, so the wiki page that is defined in Wiki settings can't be opened with Upfront themes:

Am I understanding you correctly by thinking you said something like "all wikis must have the same category?"

You can assign multiple categories to all wikis. You can create a separate category, for example name it Wiki and assign it to all wikis that you have. This way when you will be viewing wiki under this category, it would be like archive page.

We have 1 top level category, "Skydiving".

If this level top category is assigned to all your wikis, you can use this category to show the archive page.

My original question remains: We have a CMS and are primarily using WIKI Pro. Currently have over 1500 wikis, which will eventually grow to many thousands (the plan). Which one of the new Premium WPMU Dev themes do you believe will be best for a CMS? Note: We are not a blog.

As I have mentioned in the above post, you can go with Fixer or the Panino theme. You may install both on your staging site and select which one suits you best. In my opinion the Fixer theme will be the best option here.

Let us know if you require any further information!

Kind Regards,
    Nastia

• Mary

Nastia,

I am so sorry. I feel like I am a brainless space cadet not understanding enough of what you said.

So let me back up a bit and state the issue a different way.

MY USERS must be able to view the now 1800+ wikis via the structure we currently have set up. That structure is mostly a 3 level hierarchical system with 1 top level category, 25 2nd level categories and several hundred 3rd level categories. I have created menus that are accessible via the sidebar, a Table of Contents, and a Search box on every wiki and category page that make it easier for the user to find what they want to see.

From what you said, "You can assign multiple categories to all wikis. You can create a separate category, for example name it Wiki and assign it to all wikis that you have. This way when you will be viewing wiki under this category, it would be like archive page." I think you believe I am in a much earlier stage of development. I am WAY past the assigning categories to wikis.

PLEASE, go to my site, http://www.skydiving-encyclopedia.com and start by clicking the big blue button just below the header on the left that says SKYDIVING ENCYCLOPEDIA. From there you can see the menu on the sidebar, links for navigating within the page content, the search box, etc. OR, click TABLE OF CONTENTS via the big blue button just below the header on the right. Navigate around the site for a few minutes so you can see how it works and what stage of development I'm in. Since you will be viewing the site as a visitor, you'll get an idea of what it needs to do.

Please remember that I have over 1800 wikis. Right now would be the best time to change to a new theme, since I am moving my site, within the next couple weeks, to a personal server. I can make the theme changes before the migrated site is visible on the internet. Those changes can be beta tested thoroughly before they go live.

I REALLY don't want to choose a theme that will have problems with WIKI Pro, or require extensive changes to the way the site is setup right now.

Could you please possibly ask Adam Czajczyk and/or Predrag, as they are both VERY familiar with WIki Pro, and have helped me several/many times with Wiki Pro related issues as well as problems with my site.

Thank you very much in advance!!!!!

Mary Todd, Developer/Admin
    http://www.Skydiving-encyclopedia.com

• Panos

Hi Mary,

what Nastia means is that in normal themes if you visit http://yoursite.com/wiki (which is the virtual page Nastia mentioned and can be changed at the plugin's settings) you should see the list of wikis. As Upfront yet doesn't support virtual page this specific page will be empty, but I am sure we can find a workaround on this :slight_smile:

As for the categories you have created they will be displayed as normal so you will not be having troubles with them. I just tested this in my testing installation with Upfront.

Upfront offers a new way of inserting content and widgets, so I would recommend to create a staging/testing site first and then make the switch on your main site. This actually goes for any theme as they are different in many ways and it is the best way to foresee incompatibilities.

It's really nice that you feel this way about Adam Czajczyk and Predrag Dubajic ! I will transfer them you request :slight_smile:

Kind regards!
    Panos

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Mary,

Just to update you here a bit, what Nastia and Panos already mentioned above, Wiki plugin does use virtual pages for main wiki page and Upfront is currently having issues with displaying content for virtual pages properly and unfortunately we don't have a quick fix for that ready :slight_frown:

It is something devs are looking into resolving in future updates but we don't still have any ETA when this will happen.

Best regards,
    Predrag

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.