Changing Themes

When you change between themes do you lose any of your content? Do I need to worry when changing between themes? I am just really starting to dig in and make some progress and I want to move on.

• Brian Purkiss
    • Smushie Pies

Themes do not change content that is stored in the WordPress dashboard. So all posts, pages, etc will carry over to the new theme.

However, some themes, normally custom built themes, may contain some content within the theme. If you obtained your theme from WPMU or a different WordPress Theme Marketplace, your content is safe.

You will need to customize your widgets again if you were to change theme. If you want to save a particular widget’s settings, on your widgets page (found under “appearance”:wink: drag widgets from the sidebar to the “Inactive Widgets” box at the bottom of your page. Now when you change themes you can re-activate those widgets with the same settings. If you don’t do that, your content is still safe but you will need to re-configure any widgets you want to use again.

So in short, your content is safe if you change themes.

If you have any other questions please don’t hesitate to ask. We’re happy to help.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.