Changing Title of Page (metadata)

I've been having a rough time with this for the past two years, I keep coming back to it... it's hurting my seo... I need to be able to change the title of the page for the "product tag pages" where in the code can I do that?

here's the page for example - it's naming it after the first product shown. so this is the title of the page -Heartfelt Warmer | Buy Scentsy Products

I don't want that.. I want the page title to be called the actual name of the product tag, wich is "Candle Warmers Large"

Here's the link: http://www.candle-scents-you-warm.com/buy/scentsy/style/candle-warmers-large

Please help!

• Kimberly
    • Champion of Loops

Tristajensen,

Hi and Thanks for using WPMU forums :slight_smile:

Take a look at your theme's header.php - you should see the title tag written out like this;

<title><?php wp_title(); ?></title>

If not, change it to that and it should display the category name.

Best Regards,

Kimberly

If this thread is not resolved because the suggested action did not work or you have any more questions related to this thread, please feel free to post them below including any new symptoms or errors and tick the 'Mark as Not Resolved (re-open)' box below the post area (or else we'll miss it!)

• Kimberly
    • Champion of Loops

tristajensen,

You have included with Marketpress a file titled Themeing_Marketpress.txt. This would be a great resource for understanding customizations on your site.

The developer who helped you initially with this problem gave you the right advice:

1- Use a custom theme template for it mp_tag.php

2- A little custom plugin that ties into the wp_title filter and checks if the current page is a product tag:
    if (get_query_var('taxonomy') == 'product_tag') {

The second option is obviously the better of the two. Here is a link to a basic wp_title info http://adambrown.info/p/wp_hooks/hook/wp_title

You just need to place the query in the page hook :slight_smile:

Hope this helps!

Kimberly

• Kimberly
    • Champion of Loops

Have you tried in your Theme header? You put it in a hook in your theme template. :slight_smile:

http://archive.extralogical.net/2007/06/wphooks/

If this thread is not resolved because the suggested action did not work or you have any more questions related to this thread, please feel free to post them below including any new symptoms or errors and tick the 'Mark as Not Resolved (re-open)' box below the post area (or else we'll miss it!)

• tristajensen
    • The Incredible Code Injector

okay, I guess this is all beyond my skills. I have no idea what a hook is. Sorry, I'm self taught and am nervous to paste code just anywhere, since it's a store and I get a lot of visitors, I dont want to mess something up. I dont have a web designer or anyone to go to. I do it all myself.

• Kimberly
    • Champion of Loops

tristajensen

You will need to go into your FTP client and find the page template php file for your theme. That is the file you will have to edit.

I have no knowledge or access to any of the above so it is difficult for me to provide any deeper instruction, please understand

I understand how this can all be intimidating and frustrating, I'm still new to alot of it myself!

I don't know what theme you have, however, there are plugins available that allow you to place code in these hooks automatically without ever touching your FTP

You may want to try searching for one of these, it may make things much easier :slight_smile:

I had a similar one when I used a Genesis theme, you will probably find it very useful

Hope that Helps, wish I could do more!

Best,

Kimberly

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.