Changing WP's default login URL

Wordpress' default login URL is /wp-login.php which may be obvious to many, especially hackers, that the site is a Wordpress site.

Does WPMU have a plugin that can change the default URL to something like /login.php?

Additionally, can that plugin also change the default admin URL from /wp-admin to /admin?

I have found a WP plugin - iThemes Security (formerly Better WP Security) that can do this. However, the developers warn that the plugin makes many changes to the WP databases so I am a bit nervous about installing this plugin into my existing multi-site and breaking it.

I have read another post on this forum where another site owner managed to overcome the compatibility issues of this plugin with WPMU plugin Multisite Privacy, but I'm not sure if this is relevant to what I need here.

Bottom line is, can any WPMU plugin change the default member and admin login URLs?

If not, would the iThemes Security be compatible with other WPMU plugins?

Lastly, if there is no stand-alone plugin available, can this feature be added to the Ultimate Branding plugin?

• Tyler Postle

Hi eHanger,

Does WPMU have a plugin that can change the default URL to something like /login.php?

Unfortunately not at this time.

I have found a WP plugin - iThemes Security (formerly Better WP Security) that can do this. However, the developers warn that the plugin makes many changes to the WP databases so I am a bit nervous about installing this plugin into my existing multi-site and breaking it.

It could be worth trying this out in a test environment. If you do, let us know what the result is!

If you wanted to try manually changing the url through your .htaccess file you can follow this short guide: http://www.agentwp.com/change-wordpress-login-url-from-wp-login-php-to-login

Lastly, if there is no stand-alone plugin available, can this feature be added to the Ultimate Branding plugin?

I will put this in the features and feedback section so it can be considered for a future update.

Cheers!
    Tyler

PS. Having strong passwords will be the most important step to securing your WordPress installation!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.