Charge users to create a sub-site on my Multisite

Hi guys,

I know you guys could easily help me out here.

Okay so basically I need to create a multisite website on http://www.example.com

Then I need to charge users eg $10/month to create a sub site site1.example.com

Then maybe $17/month if they want to have two sites on my network etc...

I want them to choose a site category when they sign up, then I want all categories to be listed on the front-end for other random people to browse through.

1. Is this achievable using only Membership Pro 2 and Site Categories? (Without Pro-Sites)
If so how do I set this up on Membership 2 Pro without network activating the plugin - if this makes sense. I only want the plugin active on my main website and charge members to create their sub sites. Sub-sites shouldn't be able to charge for members to register to their sites.

2. Can users select multiple Site categories when they sign up? And can you limit them to one or more category selection?

Then on a side note.. I would like to use Pro Sites to sell access to plugins as well, but my currency isn't supported. Is there any plans to add 2CheckOut as a payment gateway in the near future?

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Luis,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

The "Pro Sites" plugin would be a way to go here (except the payment gateway issue; I'll get back to it later below). The "Membership 2 Pro" plugin was not designed for such a use and it can't manage site creation/site permissions etc. Therefore, with "Membership 2 Pro" it wouldn't be possible to "mimic" Pro Sites features/behavior.

Assuming however that all the plugins/themes available for sites would be the same (so no "levels") you could use "Membership 2 Pro" to keep charging users for using/accessing your site. Since "Membership 2 Pro" includes an API (documented in plugin on "Membership 2 -> Help -> API Docs" page) it could be possible to create a custom code that would work more or less like this:

- when user attempts to create a new site
    - code would check current membership of that user
    - if this memberships doesn't allow creating site user is redirected to a protected content page (or some other custom "no go" page)
    - otherwise user can continue but the code checks how many site the user has already created
    - if this is below limit, user can proceed, otherwise is redireced to "no go" page.

This would let you charge users for site creation and at the same time let you use only Membership 2 Pro. It would however require custom coding and this would be beyond the scope of this forum. You may want then to post a question on our "Jobs & Pros" job board (please note: no WPMU DEV staff involved!) here:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/wordpress-development/

As for Pro Sites and new gateways. There's already been some feature requests for adding new gateways but I'm not able to give you any ETA on this. For now, adding a new gateway would also require custom development.

If you have any further questions let me know please.

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.