Charging money in order to join or open up a community?

Hello,

is there a build in way to create different memberships and charge money for some of them?

Thanks,
Fabian

Kasia Swiderska

Hello Fabian,

If you ask for Membership 2 pro and the Communities there is no integration for these two plugins.
    If you want to have such feature with the Communities itself it would require custom coding to achieve that. If you are not comfortable with developing this yourself I can suggest hiring a developer https://premium.wpmudev.org/wordpress-development/

Kind regards,
    Kasia

Kasia Swiderska

Hello Fabian,

I've check this again, and it looks that this is possible. Sorry for the rush opinion earlier.
    You need Membership 2 Pro with add-on "Admin Side Protection" - with it, you can protect Communites pages - and only members of paid membership will be able to use them.
    Please note, that Admins of the subsites are automatically members of all the memberships, therefore only other users will have to join memberships.

Kind regards,
    Kasia

Fabianhdhuu

Hello Kasia,

thanks for your help. I've been checking out membership 2 pro.

Now I wonder how I am supposed to connect "membership 2 pro" with "communities" plugin.
    Also I don't quite understand why "membership list" can still be seen on frontpage, even if I switched it off in settings. And both memberships I created are free, even if for one of them I charge 1.-/year (just to test). But maybe I should spend some more time checking that out.

But maybe you can help me out with the language files. I download them from wpmu and upload them to the language folder of my wordpress installation. Done. But won't I need to tell the software somehow that it should now use the German translation?! Probably so, because it is still English

Thanks for your help,
    Fabian

Kasia Swiderska

Hello Fabian,

Now I wonder how I am supposed to connect "membership 2 pro" with "communities" plugin.

You enable add-on "Admin Side Protection" (Membership 2 -> Add-ons) - then in Protection rules you will see Communities pages and you can then protect them with membership.

Also I don't quite understand why "membership list" can still be seen on frontpage, even if I switched it off in settings.

It shows on registration page when you use "[ms-membership-signup]" shortcode. If you use "[ms-membership-register-user]" shortcode it will only show the registration form.

And both memberships I created are free, even if for one of them I charge 1.-/year (just to test).

When you created memberships did you tick "This is paid membership"?

But won't I need to tell the software somehow that it should now use the German translation?!

No, if your Dashboard is in German, then the German translation should load. Did you upload it to the languages/plugins folder? Both .mo and .po files? I noticed that Membership 2 doesn't have full translation - can you check if this is issue that you don't see all the strings translated?

Kind regards,
    Kasia

Fabianhdhuu

Hello Kasia,

You enable add-on "Admin Side Protection" (Membership 2 -> Add-ons) - then in Protection rules you will see Communities pages and you can then protect them with membership.

>> this should work - but I do not see the Communities pages there. However, I do not see them on the frontpage either. I guess I need to ask the Communities plugin creators for help on this one.

It shows on registration page when you use "[ms-membership-signup]" shortcode. If you use "[ms-membership-register-user]" shortcode it will only show the registration form.

>> Ok. But how do I remove the links of the top menu on hashtag.wiki
    There it even shows the Thank you page when I am not logged in.

When you created memberships did you tick "This is paid membership"?
    >> Yes, I did. But I have not connected a payment account to it yet. So maybe that is why.

No, if your Dashboard is in German, then the German translation should load. Did you upload it to the languages/plugins folder? Both .mo and .po files? I noticed that Membership 2 doesn't have full translation - can you check if this is issue that you don't see all the strings translated?

>> Yes, I realized that too. But when I pressed the "Export" button I only got a .po file. There was no .mo file - not in the download and not in the original installation. I copied it into
    wp-content/plugins/name_of_plugin/languages

Thanks,
    Fabian

Kasia Swiderska

Hello Fabian,

However, I do not see them on the frontpage either.

Communities doesn't have front pages, they works only in the backend, in WordPress Dashboard.

>> Ok. But how do I remove the links of the top menu on hashtag.wiki
    There it even shows the Thank you page when I am not logged in.

You can do that by removing them from Menu in Dashboard -> Appearance -> Menus.

>> Yes, I realized that too. But when I pressed the "Export" button I only got a .po file. There was no .mo file - not in the download and not in the original installation. I copied it into
    wp-content/plugins/name_of_plugin/languages

You need to switch from .po to .mo files in translation pages to export .mo file. Without the .mo file translation will not work. (Please see the screen).

Kind regards,
    Kasia