Chat

I recently installed the Chat plugin and am having trouble getting it to work properly. It's taking about 20 seconds for messages to appear in the chat window. How long is it supposed to take for messaged to appear after hitting "enter"?

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

If it's set to 1 second then the refresh should be pretty much instant and show as soon as something is posted.

Does this happen in all browsers?

Are you testing how quick this is with two different browsers or tabs?

Do you have an address and some sample credentials, nothing with admin access just a subscriber account so I can see it happening.

Thanks.

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@davidluizh, If you are still around and still wanting to use Chat I might be able to help. Have been working on the ore messaging logic so it does not kill the server polling for new message. Would like to connect with you to see if this prevents loading your server. Let me know.

• davidluizh
    • Flash Drive

Hi Timothy,

Apologies to you and Paul for my late reply to the above threads. I was quite busy working on other aspects of my design that I didn't really notice the replies. I am quite interested in working with Paul on the issue of loading time. After a while, the loading time for the chat seemed to reduce. I have not tested it in a while as I am still developing. However, I will give it a run tonight and send some feedback.
    Also Paul, do let me know what you have in mind. I am particularly interested in modifications to this plugin that would not only increase loading time but also allow for different chats to take place on different windows at the same time. I'm not sure if you would be working on that at this time also.

Thanks.

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@davidluizh, I would say first you should make sure you are up to date on Chat. This thread was started first of November. So by that timeline means you would have been using chat 1.2 or 1.3 The latest version, 1.3.2 has some improvements for the messaging processing. At least some have reported better results than other user.

As always if you have other idea on chat functionality please send then on to me. I have a backlog of changes I've bee working on but can always add to the list.

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hiya,

Greetings and thanks for being a great community member.

We haven't heard from you on this one for long and I am doing a regular followup to see if there is still something we can assist you on this thread.

Just to manage the support issues more efficiently, I am marking this thread as resolved for now however this is not being done to avoid your questions in any ways.

Please feel free to mark this is "Not resolved" in case you have further questions and we would be back on it.

Thanks a lot for being with WPMU DEV.

Cheers
    PC

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.