Chat - I want to disable the private IMs

I am enthusiastically hoping to disable the private IM's feature of the live chats on my site. Please tell me how I can effectively do that without destroying the entire program. Thanks _Eden

• PC

Hello there Eden,

Thanks for posting on the forums.

Its not possible to disable it out of the box without making code changes however, within a group chat session only the moderators have the ability to initiate private chat with other members of the group chat session. So only Moderators will see the options for IP address, Delete message and private chat. The non-moderator does not see those extra options.

Are you seeing anything different on your setup ?

Please advise.

Cheers, PC

• Eden

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!!!!!!

As an administrator, I wasn't certain of what I was able to see versus what the subscribers would be able to see. I really, REALLY didn't want my site to turn into another hook up site and I know I can't control what people say amongst themselves. Can you please tell me how to control what information for each member displays in their profiles? When another member clicks onto their name, How can I better control what is/isn't seen? I was hoping to set it up so that all that displays is a profile photo, a username (no real names), City, State & astrological sign.

I love the way the chat is working so far with absolutely no problems. How do I turn the icons on and off?

• Paul

@Eden,

In addition to the information provided from @PC you can totally hide the moderator footer bar on the chat sessions. If you go to Chat > Settings Page then to the Box Appearance tab you will see a setting 'Show Moderator Message Footer' which will hide the moderator bar on all message even for moderators.

The downside of this of course is this also hides the ability to moderator message.

• Paul

@Eden,

Can you please tell me how to control what information for each member displays in their profiles? When another member clicks onto their name, How can I better control what is/isn't seen? I was hoping to set it up so that all that displays is a profile photo, a username (no real names), City, State & astrological sign.

The Chat plugin has not control or direct link to the user's profile page. You will need to seek other options to control the output of the profile. Maybe PC will have some input.

I love the way the chat is working so far with absolutely no problems. How do I turn the icons on and off?

If you go to Chat > Settings Page then to the Message Appearance tab you will see the option 'Show Avatar/Name'. There you can control the display of the name, avatar, name + avatar or nothing.

• PC

Thanks for chiming in Paul :slight_smile:

Can you please tell me how to control what information for each member displays in their profiles? When another member clicks onto their name, How can I better control what is/isn't seen? I was hoping to set it up so that all that displays is a profile photo, a username (no real names), City, State & astrological sign.

For profiles, you can use BuddyPress Extended profiles and add the profile fields and choose what all fields are visible to anyone and what all fields to admin only.

For single WordPress without BuddyPress, you should look at : http://wordpress.org/plugins/cimy-user-extra-fields/

Cheers, PC

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.