Chat icon only appears on main blog

The Chat icon only appears on the main site in a multisite installation. I have disabled all plugins and tested with different themes including the Wordpress Twenty Eleven theme. The icon doesn't appear. Appears and works on the main site well. Any ideas?

• Patrick

Hiya @kevincuming

Chat can be activated network-wide, but will only function per site, and only on sites where it is enabled. In other words, the chat sessions are site-specific.

If you need chat functionality that your users can use while they visit different sites in your network, there are various solutions available such as Skysa. It's an app bar, but if you don't want the apps, don't install them. I've tried it and it's pretty cool :slight_smile:
    http://www.skysa.com/

• kevincuming

Hi Patrick

Thanks for getting back to me.

I activated Chat network wide with the intention of using it, as you describe, on specific sites. The chat settings showed up in settings menu on each network site so I assumed that it was enabled on those sites. However the Chat icon doesn't appear on the editing menu bar on those site. I tried deactivating it network wide and then activating site by site but with the same outcome. Is there anything I need to do additionally to enable it on each site. It works fine on the main site.

I will check out Skysa as well.

• Patrick

Hi again @kevincuming

The chat settings showed up in settings menu on each network site so I assumed that it was enabled on those sites. However the Chat icon doesn't appear on the editing menu bar on those site.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you mean by the Chat icon doesn't appear on the editing menu bar. Could you post a screenshot illustrating what you mean by that?

When the plugin is network-activated, you should see the sub-menu item "Chat" in the "Settings" menu of each sub-site. Clicking that will open the settings page for the chat for that particular sub-site.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.